Good, I think. Maybe now that I'm early father will finally see that I am responsible. I smile taking my seat beside her.  

"America sweetie how are you?"

"I'm good, how are you."

"Great. How's the selection planning?"

"That's actually something I wanted to talk with you about." Mom smiled excited.

"I'd be happy to. Either before or after the Report should work."

"Okay." Without words, mom knew I wanted a long and private talk.

Seconds later waiters began placing dishes in front of us. Tonight's meal was delicious steak with a side of salad and pasta. While our drinks were being poured father walked in. Giving both mom and I a kiss on the cheek before taking his seat. Moms face lit up as his lips brushes hers. Getting two kisses was a nice surprise.

"Where are Kenna and Madeline?"

"I'm not sure, but they should be here shortly." Father nodded and waved a maid over. She did so quickly, bringing his meal. He gave no thanks when she finished.

"Should we wait for Kenna and May?"

"No." I didn't object and began eating. I looked at the clock, 7:25. They had four minutes, five if they wanted to push it. I eat in silence while mom and father talk in a measured voice.  I heard heels clicking together and turned to the door. May and Kenna walked in looking a little flushed. I glanced at the clock, just in time, 7:29. They straightened their dresses and walked up to the table. "Good evening, mother, father, America." They said together.

"Why are you late?" Father said sternly. 

"Sorry we got caught up in my room. It won't happen again."

"It better not. Soon we'll have guests, and although they aren't royals or anyone with power, we must show we are a perfect family."

"We know." Kenna said and took her seat. May following. As soon as food was set in front of them they broke into chatter. I couldn't engage in either conversation. I ate but thoughts consumed me. The selection will start soon. Before I know it 35 boys will invade my home. And I will marry one of them. What if all they want is a crown? I've been ignoring it for a while, but fathers comment made it real. Everything seems to be changing and the boys aren't even here yet. "Ames are you okay?" May asked. I looked up at her, she looked concerned.

"Yes I'm fine." I gave them a weak smiles trying to be convincing. Kenna and May eyed each other then went back to eating and talking. Leaving me alone. I was the first one to finish. So I excused myself and walk for a short walk, trying to distract myself.

The halls are quite, but you can feel the low buzz of energy. I walked to the portrait hall. Pictures after pictures of us lined the walls. I loved looking at these pictures. Kenna, May and I through the years. Father through the years. Grandmother and grandfather at their wedding. Mother and father at their wedding. Next will be my wedding, with my husband. I shivered a little.

What has gotten into me!? I thought. I shouldn't feel like this. I've always know this was coming. And I chose now to panic. They haven't even been chosen. God am I pathetic.

"Why am I not surprised to see you gazing at pictures of yourself?"

I turned to see a grinning officer. I grinned right back. "You know me so well. Don't you Avery?"

Emmett Avery arrived at the Palace when I was 10 as the son of a new gardener. He was 12. It was just him, his parents and his little brother. Around that time we became friends as he was one of the only other kids at the palace around my age. Ever since we've been friends, calling each other by our last names. At the age of 15 he began training to be a guard. I was 13 and thought he was too young. Now I know that's just how things work.