Chapter One- Chicago's Hope

The knock on the door startled Michael.  He had been in his room for all of five minutes before someone came knocking, looking for him.  With a groan he climbed off of his bed and went to the door where he found Percy.  “Michael!” Percy immediately greed him, as he opened the door, “I’m glad I caught you.”

            “What’s up boss?” Michael was surprised that Percy had come himself to talk to him.  Normally it was some underling that would pass on Percy’s bidding.  “We have news of a crime syndicate coming into the US to spy.  We don’t know exactly what they are up to, exactly what they are trying to figure out, but any way you look at it, it’s a bad thing.”

            “Okay.” Michael acknowledged he had been listening, “What’s the op?”

            “Operation Undercover Doc.” Percy replied.

            Michael was confused.  “What?” he asked.

            “We have information that their operative is going to pose as a doctor from Croatia.  We need you to go in as a doctor and watch him.  Make sure he isn’t up to anything.”

            “A look-and-listen?” Michael was clearly confused.  “There’s not another agent you could use?”

            Percy shook his head.  I need you on it.  From the time in the navy you have the medical training to pull it off.  No one else would.”

            It made sense, but Michael wasn’t exactly sold on why it had to be him.  “What would my cover be?”

            Opening up the file folder he had brought with him, Percy showed Michael the backstory of his cover, Ray Barnett.  He was fresh out of medical school, starting as an intern at County General in Chicago.  In his spare time he was also a musician.  It was definitely an interesting cover.  “Get to know it.” Percy directed him.  “I’m not sure how long the Croatian will be here, but for as long as he is here, you will be.”

            “Great.” Michael commented.  “I could be undercover for years.”

            “Undercover gaining valuable information for Division.” Percy corrected.

            With a sigh, knowing he had to do it for Division, Michael asked, “When do I leave for Chicago?”

            “In the morning.” Percy suggested, “Birkhoff is getting a flight set up for you.”

            “I guess I’ll work on packing them.” Michael replied.

            “You’re a good agent Michael.  I know you will do me proud.

            Michael just nodded.  Percy was right, Michael would do whatever Division needed, no questions asked.  After Percy briefed him on the particulars and told him Birkhoff would be by to brief him on their contact procedures and the tools he would need, he left Michael alone in his room.  He began to pack, wondering how long he would actually be gone for.  He knew it depended on the mission, but his main concern was for who would watch over the recruits while he was gone.

            There wasn’t much time to think on it because before too long there was a knock on his door signaling Birkhoff had arrived.  “Come in Birkhoff.” Michael called.

            The door opened and the long-haired tech came in.  “Hey Michael.” Birkhoff greeted, “I’m here about your mission.”

            “Yeah.” Michael responded, “Kind of figured as much.”

            “Thanks.” Birkhoff sarcastically replied.  “Anyway, here is your secure phone for contacting us.  Percy and I are in there under our standard aliases and the Operations number is listed as your parents’ home phone number.”