Chapter Two: Rainy Days

I woke to the sound of rain hitting the roof. It startled me at first but as I kept listening to the noise it began to soothe me. When I was younger and a big storm would hit California my mother would sing me to sleep. That’s when my love for music really began. When I was ten years old my mother bought me a journal and I used that journal to put the songs I would write in it. I haven’t touched it since the night of the accident, afraid I would be tempted to write about it and then come undone and never be able to be put back together. I shoved those thoughts away and got out of bed. Today is Sunday and I have my first day of school tomorrow at Homes Chapel Comprehensive School. Jake and Effy will be going to this school with me and Ariana will be going to a primary school not far from here. School started a little over a month ago so it will be easy to see that we are new here, especially because we have American accents. Laura told us that she would take us to the store and buy us our uniforms. The school has a strict dress code. The uniform consists of; a black V-neck sweater with the school logo, a white shirt, a tie with the school’s colors, a black knee length skirt for girls and black pants for boys, black tights for girls and black socks for boys, and black shoes. I’ve never had to wear a uniform so this just adds to the differences from my old life to this strange and unsettling new one. I walked to my dresser and pulled out some warm and comfortable clothes. It was October and it was extremely cold. Once I got dressed, brushed my hair and teeth, and applied my makeup I walked into the living room to wait for everyone else to get ready. After ten minutes my two sisters join me on the couch in the room.

            “Are you excited for school tomorrow sissy?” Ariana asks me in an excited tone. She is nine years old and full of joy and excitement for the awaiting day. I miss being like that. Ignorant to the cruel world outside theses doors, not knowing heartbreak, never been burned. I plan to shield her away from that world for as long as I can.

            “Somewhat” I say in the kindest tone I can muster up, “What about you Eff?”

            “I’m nervous” she replies in a sleepy tone, “I don’t think schools are the same here”.

            “I don’t think they are either but we have each other and I know Ariana will be just fine on her own. I’m pretty sure you’ll make more friends than all of us combined on our first day!” I try and make myself sound as strong and cheerful as I can even though I just want to go back inside my room, go underneath the blankets and never come out. Ariana smiles brightly at what I told her and that’s all that I need to lift my spirts even if only an inch. Jake then comes down the hall and we are ready to leave. Laura comes in last, gathers her purse, and waves us out the door.

Authors note:

Sorry last chapter was so short I had to make it a filler chapter because I want this story to be as long as possible. Next chapter will be less boring because she will be in school and be meeting lots of people ;P

-kimmie xx