Relay Module: Advantages And Its Types

Relay is an electrically operated switch. It opens when the two contacts get disconnected, and it turns on when the two contacts touch. The relay module is designed to be controlled with the low voltages in order to change the state of the electric circuit from one state to another.

The relay module is often used for isolating the low voltage circuits from the high voltage circuit in order to control the high voltage devices.

With about thousands of relay module available in the market that are further compatible with different platforms for different purposes, it can be difficult to pick one for your project. In this article, we will talk about the advantages and different types of a relay.

 In this article, we will talk about the advantages and different types of a relay

Advantages

· Relay allows you to control a remote device. With relay, you don't have to be near the device to make it work.

· Relay modules are capable of changing contacts easily.

· It can isolate the activating part of the actuating part.

· Relays can work quite well at high temperatures.

· It is typically activated with the low current; however, it can also activate large machines of great power.

· With a single signal in the relay, you can control several contacts at once.

· Relay is capable of switching direct current or alternating current.

Typesof Relay

 Solid State Relays (SSR)- These relays use the thyristors & Triassic for their operation. Here, the coupling, between the input & the output circuit, is optical. SSR are typically faster, smaller, quieter, more reliable, and last longer than the electromagnetic relays.

 Industrial relays- These relays can handle high currents, and they are long-lasting.

 Interlocking relays- these are the devices that can be activated or deactivated with a voltage pulse. And on the basis of the polarity of the pulse, the position of the contacts changes.

 Thermal relays- They are used for protecting motors against over-temperature. When the temperature reaches up to a certain level, it is activated & disconnects the contactor, which then disables the motor.

Reed relays- This is a very basic device and has a small size. Also, it's a very fast operating switch design that has only one NO contact. Some of these relays have glass encapsulation, while others come with metal encapsulation for preventing external magnetic fields from activating the relay.

 Mercury relays- this relay has a drop of mercury inside it which moistens the contacts, gives them a longer life and avoids the rebounds that appear when they're activated.

 Contactors- These devices have the same principle of operation of the relay. The current, voltage or power values ​​are very large, and the contractors must-have characteristics that withstand these values.