Key Concepts and Theories P2

101. Direct Instruction refers to academically, teacher-directed classrooms using sequenced and structured materials.
102. Direct Teaching Strategy is a teacher-centered skill building instructional model where the teacher is the major information provider.
103. Discipline means instructing the child in the ethical principles (right from wrong), why or why not, and how to decide and act according to principles.
104. Disciplinism is also known as formal discipline, asserts that mind is made up of certain formetries-memory, reason, will, and judgment.
105. Discovery Learning is used to develop students' first-hand knowledge of physical or social phenomena.
106. Discrimination refers to the process by which we learn not to respond to similar stimuli in an identical manner.
107. Discussion is instructional strategy in which students share ideas with each other and engage in higher-level thinking.
108. Distance Education is a teaching delivery that has the most use of educational technology.
109. Divergent Question is an open-ended, higher order thinking question, which requires students to think creatively.
110. Double-Single Session is a standard curriculum where a class of 80 pupils was divided into two, the first half held sessions in the morning while the second half in the afternoon.
111. Down Time refers to the time in the classroom when lessons are completed early, or when students are waiting for upcoming events such as moving to another class or going home. 112. Dyscalculia involves difficulty with math skills and impacts with math computation. 113. Dyspraxia (apraxia) is a difficulty with motor planning and impacts upon a person's ability to coordinate appropriate body movements.
114. Dysgraphia involves difficulty with writing.
115. Dyslexia describes difficulty with language processing and its impact on reading, writing, and spelling.
116. Education is the process of linking new information to prior learning and linking different parts of new learning together. 117. Egoism a doctrine that holds that the morality of an act is determined by what serves the interests of the self. What is good or evil is conditioned by what one thinks, feels, or wishes.
118. Egocentrism refers to the children's tendency to see things as they want them to be.
119. Emotion is the blending of sensations caused by the profound and widespread changes in the body.
120. Enculturation is the process of passing characteristics and cultural practices upon children. 121. Environmental Education rethinks human-earth relationships, fosters a vision of education for sustainable relationship, promotes care for the environment and builds a global culture of ecological responsibility.
122. Environmental Influences refer to the interaction between an individual's inherited traits, his surroundings and his nature.
123. Episodic Knowledge refers to our biographical memory reflecting not only what happened, but also where and when it happened.
124. Epistemology recognizes the significance of education; deals with approaches to effective teaching and learning.
125. Equilibration refers to the process of balancing between previous knowledge (assimilation) and changing behavior to account for new knowledge (accommodation). 126. Essentialism emphasizes the authority of the teachers and the value of subject matter curriculum.
127. Ethics is a philosophical and practical science that deals with study of the morality of a human act or human conduct.
128. Ethical relativism is a concept wherein an acceptable norm in one community may be considered immoral in the other. 129. Evaluation is the process of interpreting the evidence and making judgments and decisions based on the evidence.
130. Existentialists believe that human beings are shaped entirely by their external environment.
131. Existential Intelligence is concerned with ultimate issues, and is next to the possibility considered by Howard Gardner as he argues that it scores reasonably well on the criteria. 132. Expectations refer to the teacher's beliefs about what students are capable of doing. 133. Experiential Learning is a process of formulating new insights and gaining new skills from direct experiences with natural occurrences and interactions with the environment; also known as Learning by Doing.
134. Explicit Instruction is a teacher-directed strategy that includes such methods as lectures, didactic, drill, practice exercises, and demonstrations to learn specific skill.
135. Expository or Rule-to-Example Method is a deductive way of presenting a lesson.
136. Exploratory Reading is done when trying to get an accurate picture of the ideas presented in a selection; requires more concentration and longer time. 137. Extinction refers to the process by which conditioned responses are lost.
138. Extrinsic Motivation is based on incentives which are artificial devices which are employed to evoke attitude conducive to learning.
139. Evaluation deals with judgment and focuses on qualities of accuracy, acceptability, desirability, worth. Tasks: Judgment for reality or fantasy, Judgment of fact or opinion, Judgment of adequacy and validity, Judgment of appropriateness, Judgment of worth, desirability and acceptability
140. Extrinsic Motivation comes from outside the learner and involves the delivery of external rewards when a student completes a task.
141. Face Validity is established by examining the physical appearance of the instrument. 142. Facilitating is helping/making it easy for students to learn together in a group, or to achieve something together as a group.
143. Factual Knowledge consists of knowing the details and elements related to the specific facts and terminology of a discipline.
144. Feedback is the response to efforts by the learner to communicate.
145. Field Trip is most fit in contextualized learning.
146. Fluency is the ability to read effectively, and it involves three components: reading rate, word recognition and prosody.
147. Follow-up is the phase of the questioning process where the teacher reacts to the students' responses to a question.
148. Formal Education refers to the hierarchically structured and chronologically graded learning organized and provided by the formal school system and for which certification is required in order for the learner to progress through the grades or move to the higher levels.
149. Formative Evaluation is designed to inform teacher about their students' performance, prior knowledge, and skills. This information is then used to plan lesson or remediation to improve student performance. 150. Frequency Distribution is merely a listing of the possible score values and the number of persons who achieved each score.
151. Gender refers to the different roles, responsibilities and expectations of women and men in societies and cultures. 152. Generalizations are statements of relationship among two or more concepts. 153. Global Education involves learning about those problems and issues which cut across national boundaries and about the interconnected of systems-cultural, economic, technological, ecological, and political.
154. Globalization is a process of change which underpins a transformation in the organization of human affairs by linking together and expanding human activity across regions and continents.
155. Goal refers to the broad statement about student learning.
156. Graphic organizer is a mental map that represents key skills like sequencing, comparing and cons tasting, classifying and involving active thinking.
157. Group Investigation is a cooperative learning strategy that places students in a group to investigate a given topic.
158. Guidance involves personal help given by someone designed to assist the person to decide where he wants to go, what he wants to do, or we can best accomplish a certain goal.
159. Guild Education develops and prepares the children for commerce and industry.
160. Hawthorne Effect is the change in research subject's behavior caused simply by his/her awareness of being studied. 161. Hedonism is a doctrine that asserts that pleasure is the only basis from which the moral quality of an act can be derived. What is pleasurable and comfortable is good.
162. Heredity is the process by which the new organism is endowed a certain potentials (inherited from the parents) for his later development.
163. Hinduism emphasizes a commitment to an ideal way of life called Dharma, characterized by honesty, courage, service, faith, self-control, purity and non-violence.
164. Histogram is a graphic presentation used for numerical data.
165. Holistic rubric describes the overall quality of the performance or product and uses only one rating for the entire work.
166. Human Dignity is the most and important and long-term value of an individual's education.
167. Humanistic Education refers to the study of humanities for moral abundant life to secure full and rich life.
168. Humanitarianism is a broad philanthropic principle that regards man's obligations are concerned wholly with the welfare of other men and ultimately the whole human race. 169. Human Rights are legal rights, safely enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human rights, various human rights covenants, conventions, treaties, and declarations, regional charters, national constitutions, and laws.
170. Human Rights Education promotes understanding of human rights concepts and values to enable learners to comprehend and transform conditions which give rights to human rights violations and exalts dignity and worth of the human person.
171. Hypothesis refers to tentative answer to a question or solution to problem that can be verified by data
172. Idealism is the philosophy that proclaims the spiritual nature of a man and stresses that human spirit, soul and mind are the most important elements in life.
173. Idea Reading is rapid reading the main idea.
174. Immersion is transmitted when children learn how to open a coconut and other common chores in a coconut farm.
175. Imitation is a more organized aspect of early education where boys and girls in the clan under the direction of the elders went through different stages of preparation to achieve full tribal membership.
176. Individual Differences refer to the idea that no two individuals are exactly alike, as such the teacher should make it a point to take this into consideration to meet the needs of every learner under her tutelage.
177. Individualized Instruction is teaching method which can be best be taught by the use of computers.
178. Individualistic Humanism is education that develops individual personality.
179. Indoctrination is the process of imposing, dictating practices to the young.
180. Inductive Instructional Approach is an approach to instruction that involves some type of exploratory activity, helping to lead students to discover a concept or generalization.
181. Inductive Strategy is an instructional approach that starts with an unknown principle and then attention move to a known.
182. Inferential comprehension is demonstrated by the student when he uses the ideas and information explicitly stated in the selection, his intuition, and his personal experience as a basis for hypotheses. Tasks: Inferring supporting details, Inferring main ideas, Inferring sequence, Inferring comparison, Inferring cause and effect relationships, Inferring character traits, Predicting outcomes, Interpreting figurative language. 183. Informal Education is type of education which can be acquired anytime and anywhere. It is otherwise. It is other known as the education for all seasons. 184. Inquiry Method is teaching strategy that is designed to teach students how to investigate questions through the systematic gathering of facts.
185. Insight refers to the ability to foresee things and is based on the react in advance.
186. Insight Learning Theory posits that learning could occur by 'sudden comprehension' as opposed to gradual understanding; this could occur without reinforcement, and once it occurs, no review, training, or investigations are necessary.
187. Intrinsic Motivation refers to the inherent or internal stimulus of the individual to learn. It is based on the natural desire of the individual to satisfy his drives and motives without the need for reward and punishment.
188. Instructional Models are the overall approaches to instruction that are designed to accomplish particular instructional goals. 189. Instructional Technology refers to the aspects of educational technology that are primarily concerned with instruction as contrasted to design and operation of educational institutions.
190. Instructional Time is the amount of allocated time available for learning.
191. Integrative Approach is fit in developing the ability of students to look at a problem from various perspectives.
192. Integrated Curriculum is type of a curriculum recognizes the necessity for learners to see the big picture rather than piecemeal learning.
193. Intelligent Quotient Theory is mainly interested in the concept of intelligence which is seen as determining people's ability to learn, to achieve academically, and to take on lead roles in society.
194. Interpersonal Intelligence (People Smart): Capacities to discern and respond appropriately to the moods, temperaments, motivations, and desires of other people.
195. Interrogatory/Example-to-Rule Method is an inductive way of presenting the lesson.
196. Intrapersonal Intelligence (Self-Smart): Access to one's own feelings and the ability to discriminate among them and draw on them to guide behavior 197. Islam emphasizes a total commitment to faith, obedience, and trust to one and only God. 198. Item Analysis is the process of determining whether the test items are good or not.
199. Jigsaw is a technique in cooperative learning used when new information is divided equally among all group members and each student teaches his/her portion to the other group members.
200. Journal involves the description of the event or learning experiences, value and outcomes, and insight gained.