Levi upped the charm. "We need two rooms, Jane, is there anything else available?"

Jane bit her lip, which presented a charming picture. "I'm sorry. Everything here is booked. Would you like me to check at a few of the other hotels for you?"

Trinity began to grow uneasy as she realized this could present a real problem. She took a deep breath. It was Denver. There had to be plenty of hotels. Levi would find them something.

"I would appreciate it," Levi's smile was still charming but a little forced.

"Certainly, would you and Ms. Emerson like to relax in the bar for a few minutes while I call around?" Jane said, her smile a little forced as well.

Levi led the way to a booth in the corner of the bar and waited for Trinity to take a seat across from him. It was a dark atmosphere, and there was a trio playing in one corner, giving the place a chill atmosphere.

She could tell he was tense about the situation, and she was worried that he might lose his cool. Christopher would have been boiling by now. He would have remained calm in front of everyone else but as soon as they were alone, he would have taken it out on her. Those old fears were hard to fight.

"Would you like anything?" Levi asked her as the waitress approached their table.

"Some hot tea would be welcome," Trinity said. It was mid-morning and, in her mind, to early to drink.

Levi ordered her tea and himself a coffee, causing her to let out a breath she hadn't even know she had been holding. They sat in awkward silence until the drinks arrived, and Trinity couldn't help her shaking hand as she picked up her cup of tea.

Levi watched her closely. "It's fine, Trinity. We'll make it work."

"It's not that," Trinity said as she set her cup down on its saucer.

"Then what is it?" he asked, watching her over the brim of his coffee mug.

She shrugged. "I have a bit of a headache, that's all. I think it was the change of pressure on the plane."

He watched her, and it was obvious that he didn't believe her, but he let it go without comment.

A few minutes later, Jane joined them, sitting next to Trinity and across from Levi.

"There's nothing," she said softly. "Not only is the convention happening, but the National Western Stock Show and the Sportsman's Exposition are overlapping by a few days." She handed Levi a list. "The only places I could find were a few cheap hotels just outside of town. You would have to travel over an hour each way." Jane bit her lip prettily.

Trinity had the momentary thought that Jane was going to invite Levi to stay with her.

"There are private vacation rentals, but that would take some time, and I have a feeling finding anything with more than one room available would be a long shot." She turned and gave Trinity a quick look before placing her attention back on Levi. "Of course here, you at least have a double."

Levi smiled at Jane. "Thank you for all of your hard work, can we have a moment to discuss it?"

Jane smiled, giving Trinity an envious glance as she stood up to leave. "There may be something available tomorrow, and we could give you separate rooms then."

"Thank you, Jane," Levi said once more, waiting until she was out of earshot to say anything.

"What's your opinion on this?" he asked, turning his attention back to Trinity. "I don't know how this happened. I told Shana to book two rooms."

"I'm sure she did, and there was a mix-up, or at least she tried to book two rooms. Maybe they were booked when she called and she couldn't do it, and she was afraid to say anything." Trinity shrugged as she attempted to give Shana the benefit of the doubt, but after the conversation she had heard in the restroom, she wouldn't be surprised if it was a set-up.

Levi frowned. "I'm not that much of an ogre, am I?" he asked.

"No," Trinity smiled as she shook her head. "What are we going to do?"

"I'm alright sharing if you are. We won't be spending that much time in the room anyway, and perhaps it will be only one night."

"It's going to be awkward, Levi," her soft voice said.

"We'll consider it a team-building task," he grinned. "I'll even let you pick which bed you want."

She gave a little huff of laughter at his attempt to keep it light.

"I even packed my camo jammies this time," he assured her. "I'll blend right in. You won't even know I'm there."

This time she did laugh. "We can try it," she finally agreed, her stomach rolling as she said the words. She hadn't shared a room with anyone since she had left Christopher. "But if things get out of hand you're sleeping in the lobby."

"Now that I know about your killer self-defense skills, I wouldn't dare try anything." They were joking but there was also a hint of seriousness in their comments.

Levi led the way back to the reservation desk, and Jane checked them in, shooting Trinity a few more envious glances before she handed over the key cards.

"We'll let you know the minute we have another room available, Mr. Shaw."

"Please call me Levi," Levi insisted, and Jane smiled like she had won the lottery.

All she could think of was that Christopher had been equally charming once upon a time. Although to Levi's credit, the problems presented to them hadn't upset him overly much.

"Come on," he said, leading the way to the elevator. "I promised to let you pick your bed, and I'm a man of my word."