Chapter 22

So there are only 2 chapters left...

Riley's POV

"Riley how many times do I have to say I'm sorry?" Eldon sighed. I slammed my door closed in response. I had my 2 week check up today but Emily had gone to a duet practice without telling me. I wasn't allowed to drive until I was cleared by the doctor so I couldn't drive myself. And there was no way in hell I was going with Eldon. I exhaled. There's only one person I can think of to call. I picked up my phone, dialling their number. It rang a few times, before they answered.
"Hello?" His voice asked. He sounded confused to be hearing from me. Probably because I haven't spoken to him since the hospital.
"I need a ride to my doctors appointment. Could you possibly help me out?" I asked. I wasn't exactly happy about having to ask him but I also missed him so much. It felt good to hear his voice again.
"Uh yeah I guess. Are Emily and Eldon busy?" James questioned.
"Emily's at the studio and Eldon and I......... Aren't on good terms." I replied. "My appointments in an hour." I added, changing the subject.
"Alright, I'll leave now. I'll see you in about 20 minutes Riles." My heart skipped a beat when he said that word. My eyes closed as I exhaled. I really miss him.
"Okay. Bye." I replied, hanging up. The 20 minutes it took for James to get here were the longest 20 minutes of my life. James texted me when he got here, probably the smart thing to do. I left without saying anything to Eldon. I got into James's car and a rush of memories came back. I told myself not to think about them. We're not even really friends anymore. I can't be thinking about when we were dating. Yet I couldn't help but want to lean over and kiss him, let his scent envelope me, feel his arms around me. But I didn't. Instead I muttered, "Thanks."
"No problem." James replied. I couldn't look at him as he drove. It filled the car with tension. I stared out the window, scared if James saw me he'd see all the feelings that were rushing back to me. When he stopped outside the doctors office, I felt his gaze on me. "Will you need me to pick you up?" He asked softly.
"You can come in." I told him quietly. It was his baby too. Plus I wanted a hand to hold. I wanted someone with me. James hesitated. I still wouldn't look at him, I couldn't see his reaction. However, I heard the car turn off. A good sign. I got out slowly, finally glancing over to see James getting out too. We walked in silence into the waiting room, my head down most of the time. As we got closer to the doctors office this all became real again. I really had lost the baby. I zoned out for most of the waiting and even most of the appointment. I think James noticed I wasn't alright. He kept glancing over at me, and every so often I would see him lift his hand, as if he was going to hold my hand or rub my arm, but before he did he would put it back down again.
"The miscarriage looks fine. You should be back to normal now, I don't see any reason for worry." The doctor said. I nodded, refusing to look at her. "The concussion is still healing. Come in again next week and we'll take another look, right now though maintain the same recommendations as before, no loud noises, no strenuous exercise..." The doctor listed off as I zoned out again. I sighed. Still no dance. The only thing that might've given me a little happiness right now.
"Riley?" I heard James say. I turned to look at him, a little confused. He stood beside me now, one hand on my thigh, the other on my lower back. He was looked at me concernedly. "The doctor left a few minutes ago. We can leave now." He told me softly. I nodded my head, dropping my gaze to the floor. As we walked out of the doctors office, James's arm wrapped around my waist, holding me against him securely. I inhaled. I was close enough I could smell his cologne. I love the smell of his cologne. Just like I love feeling his arms around me and I love feeling his lips against mine. And I love him.