There were clothes pushed along the walls, just enough for there to be open space on the floor between the door and the bed. There was a box of art supplies in one corner with a number of canvas’ leaning against it.

Brendan sat up on the bed, and Marc felt like he was in high school again, sitting on bedspreads and talking.

“What’s up?” Brendan asked.

Marc still wasn’t sure where to start, other than what Brendan already knew. “I keep thinking,” Marc started unsurely. “What it would have been like to be sent to a camp like that,” he muttered. “But then I wouldn’t have.” He hesitated again. “My dad never would have sent me there to have someone beat it out of me when he could done it himself.” He sat on the foot of Brendan’s bed and waited.

Brendan didn’t speak up at first. “What are you getting at?”

Marc gritted his teeth and made himself say it. “My dad was abusive.” It was the first time he’d actually admitted that to anyone. “And I really just thought that was part of life for a really long time—it was normal. And it never changed, it went on all through high school, and even when I came home from breaks at college—“ Marc stopped again, swallowing hard. “But I always just let it happen because he was my dad, and so I thought that made it okay. And I know now it’s not, and I don’t want him in my life, but…”

“Ariel will find plenty of people that love her, whether they’re family or not,” Brendan cut in. “Like I said at the pool, sometimes because he’s family isn’t a good enough excuse. Because if you don’t think it’s safe for her to be around your dad, then it’s not.”

“But how could I even tell him that?” Marc was afraid of the backlash.

“You call him, or whatever you’re comfortable with. Obviously if you think he’s going to try and hurt you for it, then don’t do it where he has the chance. You have the control of this now—you control whether or not he’s allowed to see Ariel, not him dropping in on my class,” Brendan snapped.

“I can’t really stop him from doing anything,” Marc pointed out dejectedly.

“Get law enforcement involved,” Brendan suggested firmly. “Have him barred from seeing her.”

“With what evidence?” Marc sighed. “It was years ago… most of it anyways. And then it’s just my word against his for it.”

“We’ll get it worked out,” Brendan promised. “Talk to the school for sure. Tell them he’s not allowed near Ariel, or on the school grounds, because you’re concerned for her safety. The school has to listen to that.”

Marc slumped further back, wedging himself up against the wall. “I don’t even sleep well,” he admitted quietly. “Whenever he calls the house, or whenever I see him. And since he showed up at Ariel’s school, it’s been nearly every day now… because he could just show up, I don’t know.”

“Talk to the school,” Brendan insisted again. “And…” he softened slightly. “I know you mentioned counseling for Ariel once, but have you ever considered it for yourself?”