Chapter 1: The First and the Second

In the Northern part of Albayo there's stood the greatest library in the city. Everyday... oh not everyday, but I always visit there whenever i got the chance to.

Of course the library holds the history of the world which I love to read and was my favorite subject in class. Though I hated Science (Sorry for the Science lovers out there) but I just can't get it inside my head no matter how important it is.

Well, for the 1598th time I opened the door to the library causing the bell to chime as the door swings.

The man named Leary nods at the sight of me and I smiled back at him as I continued walking. I just finished reading the Autrus story, who was the late king of Alphane country, so now I'm learning the story of the eight Gods of this world. (Sorry for the only one God lovers out there... but this is another world okay?)

No word could clearly describe what Gods were but all of the people believes in them and loves them. I don't hate the existence of Gods but I don't believe in them either. Heck, not even magic could exist here which is the source of their power as the book describes.

Night time passed before I knew it and I closed the book and went home. Well the library was a 24 hours opened shop so it's not really a problem staying until midnight there. I used to stay there until 12 o'clock, but this time I'll went home just because I want to.

So far the story about the eight Gods is not really plausible and believable and I can't understand why people believes in them. The story was adventurous, sure. But it does seemed impossible knowing that the world never really saw a glimpse of them. It's like people made them through dreams and wishes, just so they could held onto hope and continue living.

I do have false hopes too and there's only one thing that I could believe into. The Fates....I believe that fate exist and it was the one that controls a person's life. 

I let my tiredness drawn on me and I prepared myself to sleep. I turned off the light and gently brushed my hand to my favorite book and closed my eyes.

Provena (Monday) came and I prepared myself for school. I ate, washed myself, brushed my teeth, then I brushed my hand to my favorite book and left the house clean.

Ever since I was a kid, it became my habit to brush my hand unto my favorite book just for a good luck. My classmates thought it was weird but I just laughed it off with them.

When I arrived in school, the early bird of the class who was also my friend greeted me. "Good morning, Second!" she said while smiling.

"Yeah sure, First" I also said back and seated down.

First and Second was our nicknames to each other since fate played with us and would always make us arrive in the same order everywhere we go.

It's a little bit weird but it does happen every time, though in a creepy way. Like one time that two of our other friends made a plan of going shopping just the two of them, then suddenly they met First (Einna) along the way... And by some strange string of fate I also went out on the say day at the same time and met them.

Our friends noticed this pattern and named us the First and the Second. It sounds really creepy but Einna thought of it positively and we became best friends since.

Though this pattern does not happen when our classmates or other friends are not present. I noticed that one of our classmates or friends are always there when we arrive in the same order.

Sometime later the teacher went in and our class started. I noticed that four of our classmates were still not present so I looked at my friends one by one and smiled.

I took a piece of my notebook's page and wrote the words...

[I bet that one of our classmates was absent while the other three were late] and passed it unto them.

Then I showed my 100 Alfs and waved it in the air.

Meisy, a girl with curly short brown hair signed the 2:2 with her fingers meaning [two were late and two were absent]

First gestured the travelling gesture in a basketball game which means [ one is late while three were absent] that is the vice versa of what I answered.

"All-are-late" Ellie lip synched the words in the air to tell us.

We waited for a long time until the day ended and not one of the four had arrived.

Meisy, First, Elli, and I looked at each other in disbelief and sighed. "All four of them were absent" was what we mumbled in unison.

All of us laughed and shook our heads since we might as well expected this outcome. We bought an ice cream for each of us, which is just outside of our school.

"Not even one of us won..." Meisy mumbled "Maybe we need a fifth friend to win it? It's always the fifth option that wins" she grumbled and munched her ice cream in one big gulped.

"Nah, I bet if there's a fifth friend then we'll have the sixth option in place" Ellie retorted.

The three of us smiled at Ellie's words and nodded. I remembered the time we first bet onto something and ended up the same way it did this time.

We're too shocked that not even one of us won and tried to bet again. the outcome was still the same that shock might be our favorite expression now. And whenever it happens we always buy foods like this out of frustration.

Not even a day was boring with them... It's like fate played and helps us became close friends. That's why I believe on it, greater than the Gods itself.

I ate the mallows in my ice cream and an idea came in me.

"Wait a minute... how about we bet twice an answer for each of us? And not give fate some answer to pick from?" I suggested.

The three of them stopped their eating and looked at me like I was some kind of genius.

"Cool! That might be the great way to solve this!" Meisy praised.

"Then should we bet? What topic should we bet?" First asked as she continued finishing her ice cream.

"Hmmm... I'll bet that Inus and Lux will go to school tomorrow... and also bet that both Inus and Lux will be absent tomorrow" Meisy said.

"Oh, great topic!! Then I bet that Lux will not go to school tomorrow while Inus will go to school tomorrow and vice versa" I said.

First grumbled " But what will I bet if all the bets were said?"

"Ha-ha! Well I bet that both Inus and Lux will be late at the first subject tomorrow and arrive at the second subject and also I bet that they'll not be late at the first subject tomorrow! It sounds the same as Meisy's... but if they arrive at the third subject then I lost and Meisy win" Ellie said.

Meisy nodded at Ellie's condition and so was I. "Then I guess Meisy and I will be the possible winner if the third subject starts" I said.

"Hey, what about my bet?" First said.

"I could already guess it you know" I said and shrugged while Meisy and Ellie nodded.

"At least hear it for a bit.... Like spare some of your time please?" She said and putted both of her palms on her waist.

"Ahaahhah Sure, Madam" I said jokingly.

"I bet that before the first subject starts Inus will be late while Lux is not. Then I also bet that Inus will not be late before the first subject starts while Lux will be late. That's all, thank you" First said with her majestic bow.

We just looked at her with emotionless expression. "Well the bet is on, prepare your money by tomorrow, okay?" I said and all of us nodded.

Now we're all excited for the result tomorrow...

-

-

-

End of the chapter