Chapter 03

The rules of Are you there, Moriarty? were simple

The rules of Are you there, Moriarty? were simple. Everyone was assigned a partner, blindfolded, and given a rolled newspaper. The goal was the find her partner by shouting, "Are you there, Moriarty?" and wait for them to reply with, "Yes, sir/ma'am, I am here."

And once your partner found you, they were to hit you with the newspaper. There were no points and the game didn't end until one of the partners quit. It was a stupid, stupid, child's game and as Abigail stood lined up with the women, she felt ridiculous, which she'd expected.

The partners had been no surprise either. The lovely Hatchers were paired. Sally with Frank. Martin with Ellen. And Abigail with Charles.

"Now remember," Martin shouted from somewhere across the field. "You must keep your blindfolds on, only swing when you're not Moriarty, and you must reply when you are called."

"We know the rules," Abigail said at a normal tone.

Martin chuckled. "Yes, I'm quite sure you've no problem with rules." But before she could reply or ask how he'd heard her, he shouted, "Let's begin!"

The ladies went first, and Abigail heard her friends shout their question into the field.

Bracing herself, she cleared her throat and then said, "Are you there, Moriarty?"

"Yes, my lady," came the reply and she knew it was Charles immediately. "Here I am." He wasn't far, and Abigail found herself taking a few steps in his direction before pausing.

Other shouts happened around her and she heard the paper making contact with someone before a giggle was unleashed.

"Are you there, Moriarty?" Charles asked. He was close again.

"Yes, sir. Here I am."

She waited and then there was nothing.

Her turn again. "Are you there—" She gasped as she was smacked on the hip. "Hey!"

There was a chuckle. Martin.

She groaned and tried to ignore him. "Are you there, Moriarty?"

"Yes, my lady. Here I am." Charles was closer.

She walked toward him.

Someone hit her with the paper.

She jerked around and gasped. The hit had struck her rear.

"Are you there, Moriarty?" Charles called to her in the other direction.

"Yes, sir," she said through gritted teeth. "Here I am."

Martin hit her again.

Someone else got hit. A giggle. Ellen.

Abigail was confused.