Chapter 02

Abigail stood perfectly still as she heard her father, the Viscount of Burghoff, come home

Abigail stood perfectly still as she heard her father, the Viscount of Burghoff, come home. Right on time. She could hear the distant conversation he had with his assistant and then his footsteps as he neared the sitting room in which she sat.

She bowed as he entered. "Lord Irwin," she said, then rose, making sure to show no emotion.

Lord Michael Irwin nodded. "What activities have you engaged in since breakfast?" He asked the same question he asked every morning.

"Vocal and piano lessons." She gave the same answer every Tuesday morning.

He nodded. "I'll wish you to perform this evening."

"Yes, my lord." She performed for him every Tuesday night while he sat in his study. It was truly the only time they spent more than a few short moments together. She looked forward to it, even if they didn't speak. She'd sing to him for an hour and then be off to bed. Tradition. Every Tuesday.

Done with the conversation, he headed for the door. "You'll perform for Miss Kersey and I?"

"I beg your pardon?" The question was out before Abigail could catch herself.

Lord Irwin frowned. "Miss Dorothea Kersey will be joining us for dinner this evening." He obviously didn't feel as though he needed to explain his plans to her. But Abigail was shocked. He'd never had a woman over to their home before. Not since her mother... died.

Abigail averted her eyes to the floor. "It would be my pleasure, my lord."

As he strolled from the room, Abigail kept her eyes on the red and gold patterned rug underneath her feet. Her body trembled. Their one evening together and now she'd have to share him with another.

Choking back a sob, she closed her eyes and told herself to breathe deeply. The exercise had its calming effects immediately. Once her eyes were dry, she turned to her lady's maid, who stood in the corner of the room, a silent witness to her entire life. "I wish to take a walk."

Less than ten minutes later, Abigail found herself at Sally's door. The butler said nothing as she strolled into the house and another maid pointed her in Sally's direction without Abigail having to ask.

Without ceremony, Abigail opened the door into Sally's room and paused.

Sally stood in front of her mirror in a beautiful pale blue dress, the color bringing out her eyes. Turning her head, she smiled at Abigail. "Oh, hello, dear. Come to see my wedding dress?"

Abigail walked silently into the room, unsure of what to say.

Lady Kingswin, Sally's mother, popped her head from around Sally's form and grinned. "Oh, hello, Abigail. We didn't expect you."

Abigail was still unsure of what to say. Mother and daughter's expressions were as far as east was from west. While Lady Kingswin, who'd been in on the arranged marriage, grinned, Sally eyes were vacant. She looked as though she were a hundred miles away from this place.