Chapter 1

To You, My Readers

To You, My Readers

This book is a prequel to the Wardington Park series, but it is recommended that you read the first two books in the series , and before reading this one. And while this book is sure to thrill and entertain, it will also answer many questions about the past.

Who is Levi's mother?

Why does Abigail reign supreme during the rule of Prince Regent?

Who was Her Grace, the Duchess of Wardington? The woman whose death led Martin into his depression and back into the debauched life?

If you're wondered the answers to these question, then get read to curl up in bed, a chair, or even a long flight, and brace yourself for Lord Martin...

*   *   *

London

April 1789

"What would your mother say if she caught you speaking to me this way?"

"My mother isn't here." Leaning forward, Martin Dawnton, the Marquess of Clariant, placed a kiss on the lady's neck and felt her shiver against him. He grinned against her flushed skin before placing another heated kiss.

"Clariant." Lady Dudley's hands wrapped around his shoulders tightly. "Oh," she cried. "You make an old spinster feel so alive."

He chuckled, pulled back, and stared at her. Lady Dudley wasn't much to look at. Her hair was a dull brown, as were her eyes, and her nose took up much of her face. But her beauty was not his reason for being here on King's Street in the back of Holland's. Once again, Martin was pleading his case to the Patroness. Seven ladies sat on the board, judging from on high, deciding who could come and go into the exclusive club. To not be received meant you were a social outcast. And your money and rank only went so far at Holland's. What got you in was your good name. At the age of twenty and one, Martin had already earned a very, very poor name, indeed.

His long fingers locked around the chair arm that the lady sat in. He was leaning over her with probably a good foot of distance between them. Her eyes were glazed over in lust. Her cheeks were flushed... and he'd barely touched her.

It seemed like it took forever for the woman to calm. When she did, she sighed and smiled. "You're Hades in the flesh."

"I prefer Zeus."

She narrowed her eyes and grinned. "Zeus? I was sure you would say Cupid." Her grin grew, which drastically improved her looks. "After all, he's the god of love."

"But this has nothing to do with love. This is about domination," he said, lowering himself and his voice, hovering only an inch from her face. "If one should aim to rule, then he should take everything." On the word 'take,' he yanked her chair closer.