Best Friend - Vivianne Miedema x Reader

prompt: you and viv have been friends for years and you go and watch one of her football games at the world cup. 

FYI: This imagine is portrays a romantic relationship between the reader and Viv, so if you're not interested in reading about that just give it a skip.  

The anticipation was unbearable.

Sitting in the stands next to Lars, Y/N was chewing on her nails as she watched the game before her.

"Stop doing that, you'll have no nails left," he said, and I gave a big sigh.

"It's still 0-0" I muttered, "and it's the 87th minute"

"I'm sure one of them will score during extra time," Lars reassured me.

"Viv looks exhausted," I pointed out, as the whistle for extra time sounded.

I hastily got out of my seat and walked down the tribune, leaning over the edge.

Viv spotted me just as she picked up her water bottle, and headed towards me.

"Are you okay?" I asked her, and she nodded, taking big sips.

"Bloody exhausted," she panted.

"Don't drink too much, you'll get a stitch," I warned her, and she smiled that damned smile.

Screw butterflies, I had an entire zoo stampeding around in my stomach when she did that.

"You're my best friend, not my mother," she teased me, and I shook my head playfully.

"Go!" I told her, as I watched the team start to form a circle to discuss strategies.

Viv gave me one last smile before rushing to join them. When she was out of earshot, I let out a breath.

Best friend. We had called each other that from the first day we had met, 10 years ago.

However, lately, my feelings had begun to change, but I would never mention it to her. 

It would be too complicated.

"What did she say?" Lars's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"That she was exhausted," I repeated, giving him an 'I told you so' look.

He raised his hands in defeat.

"All right, All right," he laughed, "Dad's gone to get beers,"

I barely heard the last sentence as my eyes drifted back to Viv. Even from afar, I could pick her out from the rest. That little bun she always wore, her relaxed composure, her slightly crooked posture. She was too far for me to see her face, but I could imagine the wrinkles in her forehead she always got when she was focused, the determined look in her eyes.

"You're drooling" Lars said, and I gave him a look.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I shrugged, and he gave me a disbelieving look.

"You've looked at her that way for the past 6 months," he said, "You think I haven't noticed?"

"Noticed what?" I continued to deny it, and he shook his head with a laugh.

"Haven't you stopped to think that maybe she might feel the same way?" he said, and I shook my head with a scoff. 

"I'm not having this conversation with you, Lars," I said, looking up at him, and he raised his hands in defense.

"Alright alright, just consider it," he said with a shrug, before we both turned our attention back to the field when the whistle sounded.

"Beer?" Viv's dad's asked, holding one out for me.

"No thanks," I said with a smile.

We watched with anticipation for 10 minutes, before Jackie Groenen finally scored in the 99th minute. The whole stadium erupted with an ear-splitting roar and we cheered with them, and I watched as the Dutch players stacked onto each other on the field.

The game continued and Sweden didn't manage to score. When the whistle sounded, another round of screams from the Dutch fans threatened to make me deaf.

"Come on, let's go see her," I said.

I grabbed my purse and hurried down the stairs to congratulate Viv and her teammates, followed by Lars. We finally made it into the player's corridor after showing our 'family' badges, following a stern look from the usher and a grudging nod.

Most of the players were still on the field, celebrating, and we managed to step onto the sidelines.

Danielle was the first one we saw, and I gave her a big hug.

"You played beautifully!" I congratulated her, and she smiled.

"Bloody tired though," she said with a laugh.

"Y/N!" Viv called me, and I spotted her coming towards me. I threw my arms around her neck and hugged her tightly.

"I'm proud of you," I whispered, and pulled back, but before I could say anything else, Viv had put her hand on my cheek and kissed me full on the mouth.

A hundred things seemed to happen at once. The stampede of animals in my stomach started up again, and my ears seemed to tune out the noise from the stadium. All the cogs turning in my brain seemed to all creak to a halt at once, and a warm feeling spread from my chest to the rest of my body. While I was stunned for a second, it didn't take long for me to kiss back, before I pulled away and we looked at each other.

"I've wanted to do that for a while," Viv said breathlessly, and I smiled.

"Me too," I admitted, "But I'm a coward," 

She let out a laugh, before putting an arm around my shoulders and pulling me close. 

"You're my coward," she said with a smile.  

To our right, my eyes met with Lars', and he raised a single eyebrow at me. 

"Don't you dare," I told him. 

"I didn't say anything!" he said with a defensive laugh. 

"You were thinking it!" I accused, and he laughed. 

"You're right," he said, before smiling cheekily, "But I totally told you so,"