No Other Huck Finn

Tom sat in a small tavern in town. He was 22 years old, drinking at a desolate bar. There were only three or so patrons in the tavern, but Tom was't paying attention to them. His ears perked up when he heard someone say the name "Huckleberry Finn". Tom turned to his right to see two men chatting away. "I'm sorry, did one of you fellows say 'Huckleberry Finn?" Tom asked, unsure if he had heard them right.

"Uh, yeah? Name mean somethin' to ya?"

"Well yes, we was childhood best friends, Huck and I"

"Sure we talkin' bout' the same guy?"

"Golly, there ain't no other Huck Finn!"

"I suppose not"

"Do you know Huck?"

"Why, sure we do! He's in town!" The second man chimed in, he seemed quite drunk.

Tom turned back to his drink and the men seemed disinterested, so they didn't try to converse further. Tom was excited at the thought of being able to see Huck again, he finished his drink, paid, and got up to leave. "Say, where exactly could I find Huckleberry?" Tom inquired the men.

"He often hangs around Willy's Bordello. Wouldn't be surprised if he were there right now." the more drunk man laughed slyly, as if he knew something Tom didn't. Tom left right away, he knew Willy's Bordello was in the bad part of town, he had heard rumors that it was a homosexual brothel, but was never certain because he didn't go to find out. Knowing these rumors and the drunk man's cheeky laugh, Tom thought Huck might be busy at the brothel right then. Tom continued to think about Huck when he realized he didn't know where he was anymore. He stood in front of a dark alley he didn't recognize. This was very dangerous, muggers and robbers were common in the bad part of town, especially at night in remote areas like alleyways.

"Ey, you trespassin, stranger?" a voice called from the shadows, footsteps followed it. Tom backed up, unsure of what to do. He let fright get the best of him and backed into a large man holding a knife threateningly. Tom jumped in fear and lost his balance, falling to the ground. "Got any cash on you? Any valuables?" the original voice said. Tom wanted to say something, but he just couldn't get it out.

"Cat got your tongue?" the man behind him said.

"He don't look like he has much to offer."

"People like that always got something to hide, might just have to rip it out of him, though. Hehehe..."

Just then, a third voice called from Tom's left. "Charley, Edd, let 'im alone. Sure it ain't worth it, riskin trouble." the moonlight shined across this man's face. Tom was unsure at first, but it was Huckleberry Finn himself. He wore a white button-up tucked into slacks, with suspenders and a patchy overcoat, shoes were all muddy. Tom noticed a few of Huck's top buttons were undone, showing some of his chest.

"Oh, Huck, but what if he's got valuables?" the armed man said, in an almost wining voice.

"Trust me, he don't" Huck smiled at Tom teasingly.

Charley and Edd left without another word. Huck walked over and reached his hand to Tom, offering him a hand. "Still gettin in trouble, Tom?" Tom looked at Huck surprised, he didn't think Huck would recognize him. Tom without thinking, took Huck's hand to get up and hugged him. "Oh, Huck! I didn't ever think I'd see you again! Why'd those men listen to you?"

"Well ,they just owe me- favors- I guess."

"What brings you to town?" Tom pulled away from the hug to look at Huck.

"I dunno, I've really jus' been wanderin fer a few years now. Don't really matter where I'm goin, don't have a home... why're you in the bad part of town anyways?"

"I- I was actually lookin' for you. I was told you'd be somewhere round here. Suppose that was right." They heard gun shots from a distance, which interrupted their thoughts.

"I suppose we should get outta here, not safe." Huck said warily.

"We could go to my house, you said you don't have a home, right? You can spend the night if that's what ya want an we can talk too."

Huck agreed, so they went to Tom's house.