Chapter 11: Untold Secrets

I woke up and noticed that I wasn’t in the inn, instead I was laying in a field underneath a tree. I sat up admiring the beautiful summer day, and my family was happily playing games. I looked around to see my mom setting up a picnic, my dad and brother were playing in the field. They were pretending that they were being hunted down by the most wanted criminal, I joined in their fun by playing the bad guy. Then mom called everyone to eat, I was on my way to eat with my family when I was rudely interrupted by being swallowed up by a black hole.

Waking up with a jolt I felt a wave of dizziness as I realized that it was just a dream, barely registering the fact that Michaela was talking to who I assumed was Shadow. Unable to hear exactly what they were saying, I impatiently shook the dizziness away before moving to get up.

*Be careful, you just woke up. Speaking of which, I need a nap, so please don't hurt yourself in any way.*

- Okay, thanks for caring Ty. -

*It isn't caring if we share a body, I'll feel any pain you feel, but your welcome Ce.*

I heard Michaela take a few steps away from Shadow, I'm guessing. I heard some weird sound and felt a massive shockwave, then a loud thud came from where Michaela was standing. Immediately forgetting about my dizziness, I ran over to check on her.

“She might have had too much magic exposure, it might have been the cloak she was wearing.”

Shadow told me once I got there, it sounds like he's right next to her.

"Will she be alright?"

I asked Shadow, not able to see if she's hurt.

“Yeah she will, she just needs some rest, and when she wakes up she will need a break from magic too with some water.”

Shadow answered, not giving me any hints as to how he's feeling.

"That's good, I owe her for helping me back at the auction house."

I sighed, trying not to show that I was glad that she was okay.

“Now then.”

I felt Shadow move and pick up Michaela, standing up and I think walking away.

"You're putting her on the bed?"

I asked, to confirm my suspicions.

“Yes, but I wish there was a safer spot to put her.”

He answered, his voice telling me where he was.

"I think it's sweet, how you're so protective of her. Even if it's just because you're her familiar."

I almost cooed, as I made my way back to the bed.

“Hm, well I am a demon, so calling me sweet isn’t really the right word to use, but I understand what to mean. I’m more so terrified of her, but I do respect her for who she is. I will tell you this but don’t tell her she will find out in due time.”

Shadow stated factually, as I nodded to acknowledge his words.

"I can keep secrets, after all none of my ex-friends know what my parents are like when there aren't any guests."

I pointed out, as if that was something to be proud of. It wasn't of course, but who was I supposed to trust with that kind of information?

“Well okay, there is more than just me keeping tabs on her, most of them are bad.”

Shadow spilled the beans, I raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

"So there's bad guys chasing after her and she doesn't know?"

I thought out loud, nodding to myself as my brain took in the information.

“That's right.”

He confirmed, as I paced back and forth a few steps.

"But you said most, meaning that there are some protecting her from the shadows right?"

I realized, stopping mid-step and sat on the edge of the bed.

“Yeah funny thing is that person isn’t a shadow.”

Shadow responded, causing my brain to stop working for a second.

"Wow, the irony. Is it an angel?"

I came to realize the irony, guessing that the one protecting Michaela from the shadows was a creature of light.

“You are possibly right, but who knows I’m not going to say anymore than what i have already. My lips are sealed.”

Shadow told me, so I gave him a slight nod and a small pout.

"When I find out, and if I'm right, will you give me 100?"

I asked, tilting my head slightly to the left in curiosity.

“No.”

Shadow answered bluntly, making me look down and start pouting again.

"Darn, it was worth a shot."

I responded, still pouting a little.

“It wasn’t worth a shot at all.”

Shadow pointed out, even though I knew he was right I shook my head.

"It's a matter of opinion."

I claimed, pointing my chin upwards proud of my obviously wrong argument.

“Hm, alright, she should be waking up soon.”

Shadow waved me off, changing the subject back to Michaela.

"Shouldn't you go get some water for her?"

I questioned, as I looked over to where I thought Michaela was.

“I will if she asks.”

Shadow answered, and I looked over in his direction before turning back to Michaela.

"Alright."

I said, not saying anything else as we waited for Michaela to wake up.