Chapter 3 - The Rookie Always Has It Tough

Making coffee was an art form.

It was a long process, consisting of many steps, each varying in difficulty or skills required. Sure, you could just get some from a coffee machine beside the school, but it was only after being made aware of all the steps that got you your small cup of bitter goodness that you could truly appreciate coffee for what it was.

Sadly, it was an art form few got to experience in their lifetime. There weren't many coffee enthusiasts out there, after all. But you see, preparing to begin work at a cafe really opened your eyes about all this.

And about one more thing.

That you really sucked at brewing coffee.

"You really can't do the simplest of things properly, can you?" Bakugo sighed from where he was leaning on the counter beside you. He looked tired (who could blame him – he must have slept maybe 4 hours total, what with everything that had happened the previous night), as he was carefully eyeing your pitiful attempts at making coffee. Two cups were discarded to the side. Those had been the products of your first two tries, though Bakugo had given each a single sip, before declaring it a fail.

You had to give it to him – he was a lot nicer than he could have been. After all, the first one had nearly made you gag.

Having finished preparing your third cup for the day (and it was only early morning too), you also sighed and stepped back, silently praying to the heavens this one would be passable. Crossing your arms, you turned to look at Bakugo.

"Well, excuse me, Mr. I've-been-doing-this-for-years, but may I remind you that I've never had to brew coffee until today?" You pouted. Bakugo pushed himself off the counter and moved to pour the two cups of "poisonous" (as he had called it) coffee in the sink. Your heart sank at the sight of your hard work disappearing down the drain.

There go two hours of my life, I guess.

"And I've never had to train an ungrateful human girl, so I guess we're even."

"Aw, come on, Bakugo-kun, don't be so harsh on her. She's still a novice at this whole thing," a cheerful voice interrupted, before you could retort anything back yourself. The two of you turned to see a girl with short brown hair and very rosy cheeks smiling back at you, as she was tying her apron behind her back. You gave a grateful sigh.

"Thank you, Uraraka. Glad someone here's got my back." The girl waved her hand dismissively.

"Don't mention it. We've been needing the help anyway. I will admit – the circumstances are... unexpected. But you're a nice girl, after all."

You'd met a few more of Yuuei's employees shortly after waking up in the morning and going through a short check-up with Midoriya. You were surprised to find that most of them were students like yourself, and, most of all, had welcomed you with open arms (or at the very least – understanding nods).

Uraraka was one of them. She was the only other girl you had met so far and worked here as a waitress. Since she was two years younger than you, she was still a high-school student and as such, was a bit more lacking when it came to free-time. Though from what Midoriya had told you, she was always working here on the weekends. You found her to be very pleasant. The easiest to get along with too. You wouldn't have minded if it had been her showing you the ropes.

"Alright, enough wasting of perfectly good coffee beans. I hope you're better at the table waiting thing," Bakugo sighed again, pushing you aside to take your place in brewing coffee. His push ended up a little careless, as your shoulders rubbed.

You know – his perfectly good shoulder and your very much still injured shoulder.

You flinched a little, not quite muffling the small sound that escaped your lips. For a moment, Bakugo cocked a brow at you, but when his eyes darted to the bandages peeking beneath the t-shirt you wore, he seemed to remember.