C h a p t e r T e n

Start from the beginning

“What’s bothering you?” He asks lowly into her ear.

She shrugs focusing on her sister playing. It wasn’t bad and she had improved since the last time she’d blackmailed Faith into playing. Once she was finished Faith got a round of applause from everyone and even had a genuine smile on her lips before grabbing Charlie to go on the swing again. Pulling away from Luke Robin sits back down on the bench with a sigh.

She really needs a nap.

“You look tired, sweetheart.” Grace observes, “Maybe we should take Charlie tonight so you can have the bed.”

Blushing red Robin shrugs it off, “It’s fine.”

See, the problem is that Robin didn’t exactly tell Luke that the reason they really slept on the couch last night was because Robin doesn’t have a bed. Charlie gets the bedroom in the trailer while Robin sleeps on the pull out couch but she was simply too embarrassed to mention that. ‘Sorry I really want to sleep with you but I don’t have a bed’, she mimics herself in her head. Yeah, that would have been real smooth.

“Oh come on honey, that couch has got to be killing your back. I’m surprised you can even walk upright!”

Robin closes her eyes against Graces words. The woman is the master of embarrassing every creature she comes across. At first Robin always thought it was a personality quirk but in reality she’s beginning to think it’s just the way Grace gets her kicks. Robin let’s her head fall into head with a groan but snaps her head up at the sound of Luke’s voice.

“If you could take Charlie tonight that’d be great. I had plans on taking Robin on a proper date anyway.”

“Oh isn’t that nice.” Grace grins widely.

“Uh…well this is news.” Robin stutters out looking at Luke with wide eyes.

He shrugs with a sheepish grin, “Surprise?”

“Speaking of surprises.” Grace begins immediately putting Robin on alert. “Luke will you be coming out with us Thursday night?”

“I don’t know…what’s on Thursday.”

“Grace, come on. Can we not?” Robin groans.

Grace’s enthusiastic voice overpowers Robin’s words. “Our little Robbie’s birthday! She’ll be twenty-five, can you imagine? I remember her when she was a little slip of a thing.”

Luke’s surprised gaze swings to hers having her peeking up at him through the fingers cover her face. “It’s your birthday?”

“Maybe.” She says evasively but his narrowing emerald eyes have her sighing out, “Okay, maybe it is but it’s not a big deal. Its just another day.”

“Ignore her.” Grace says dismissively, “Every year we have to listen to her whine and complain but she always has fun.”

Gabe snorts, “Yeah, cause she always comes back drunk as a skunk!”

“How do you think I get through it every year Gabe?” Robin snaps at him, “Praying for god to grant me a birthday wish and make a hole to swallow me up hasn’t worked so far. So I’ve come to the realization double fisting vodka tonics will just have to do.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Luke asks her with a frown.

Sighing Robin runs a hand through her hair before mumbling, “I just don’t like celebrating. What’s so bad about that?”

“That’s true.” Grace chimes in, “Ever since she was a kid she never liked it. I tried to throw her a tenth birthday party once and she just sat in a tree the whole time in her party dress sulking.”