Chapter Two

<Peeta>
My body shoots up into a sitting position and all attention drawn to Katniss's crying body in a cold sweat. The door opens to revile Willow and Rye arm in arm the way they do every time woken by their mother. Katniss' eyes open into mine and then to our children, but when she sees them the tears come back.
I get out of our bed, kissing her on the forehead and assuring I'd be back right away. I bring the children back into their beds.
Returning to our room I asked her what woke her this time.
"It was Prim." The tears in her eyes and the warmth in her hug truly wished this one nightmare was true, "She was in the meadow playing with Willow and Rye. She really was there, with them, singing our song with them like we used to. She tucked the back Willow's shirt into her skirt as it stuck out like a duck tail and braided her hair while Rye lie in the flowers. And then Willow asked her if she could come back and play again and Prim said, that's a great wish that she cannot grant. And then I woke up." For a moment I just stared at her, eye and eye. I had no idea what to do or say until she kisses me.
"I love you." I whispered in her ear, "That's one thing Snow could never take away, true love. It was always there. I could feel it when I tried to hurt. I wanted to hug you and kill you at the same time but-"
"You can't explain the past, you're almost better now. I love you too and I always will, for real."

"Good morning daddy." Willows greets me as I enter our kitchen. "Can you make us bagels?" I saw it coming, she asks every morning but I just end up toasting leftovers from the last time I made them.
"Daddy, who's Prim?" The words process through my brain like trying to run in water.
"Why darling?"
"Well I had a dream of playing with her in the meadow, she braided my hair and sang me mommy's song."
And then the ice cold eyes of my wife peer down the hallway, shaking her head and covering her mouth. We're so broken.