"Are you even listening to me?" Mark snapped.

"Y-Yes." I lied focusing on him.

"I don't want you talking to no boys." Mark ordered.

"Yeah, I get it." I sighed in defeat.

"And wear something to cover that belly. You've become fat." He scolded in my face. I looked down and nodded.

"Hey, that's no way to talk to a girl!" I heard a voice I didn't know. I looked up and it was the boy across me. I smiled weak. His voice was kind. And a bit thick.

"She's my girl and future wife." Mark argued.

"Mark, we're in public... please don't cause a scene." I pleaded.

"Fine." Mark said looking back at me. "Call me the second you go home, got it?" Mark said.

"Yeah." I mumbled and he glared at the stranger for a few seconds and left. 

"You should really dump him." The stranger told me.

"I wish it were easy." I sighed in defeat.

"It's simple just say, "You're a jerk and it's over." He said. I laughed in response and he laughed back.

"I'm Brian." He introduced himself and offered his hand.

"Danielle but you can call me Dani." I replied taking and shaking it. He shook back.

"Can I have your number so you can have a friend?" Brian asked. I knew I should've said no for Mark but I hated him.

"Sure." I said as I took my history notebook, wrote my number and ripped it and gave it to him.

"I'll text you after school if that's fine." He offered.

"Sure." I agreed.

"What lunch period do you have?" He asked.

"Second." I answered.

"Me too and I have friends there too. You can join in. They're very welcoming." He said.

"I will." I smiled.

"And don't bring that jerk with you." He teased.

"We don't have the same lunch anyway." I shrugged.

________________________

I smiled at the memory as I walked to the front door. I wanted to talk to Brian. I needed to. I had successfully gotten over him completely. For the first time in a long time, I was happy. I had gotten closer to Devin and I wanted a relationship with him since we had an amazing Valentines Day together. I knocked and the door opened and it was Brian.

"Hey." He greeted.

"Hello." I smiled.

"I'm sorry Mary and Selena aren't here." He informed.

"I didn't want to talk to them today. I wanted to talk to you." I corrected him.

"You did?" He asked.

"Yes." I answered.

"You're always welcome." He said as he motioned me inside. We went into the living room and sat on the couch.

"I'm over you." I announced.

"I thought you already were." Brian replied awkwardly.

"I was getting over you but today I realized I'm over you... completely." I responded.