Fifteen

Trapped alone in the woods, I tried not to cry. It's up to me to get out of here. I felt stupid for ignoring Nell but how was I to know whether or not he's teasing?

This is it I thought to myself. The end is at hand. My end.

But the birds above didn't want me to be discouraged. They sang a song to lift my spirits and I closed my eyes to listen, breathing in the smell of pine and rain and fresh grass. Somewhere lavender calmed my senses

After a moment, the birds stopped. Desperately, I whistled what I'd heard and waited. Nothing. Again and again but nothing.

I tried to lift my vocals, letting my song vibrate from my chest through my throat until it escaped my lips. The birdsong returned briefly as if they were listening. I sang again. More came to reply.

The whispering of the woods faded, soothed by the sound of a familiar lullaby. It no longer felt trapped in darkness but like I had escaped to the light. Eyes closed I sang, tears of relief spilling from my eyes.

Out of nowhere an arm grabbed me. "What do you think you are doing?"

I blinked awake. "Nell?"

He guided me out of the woods. "What was that?"

"Just...singing." I blushed clearly embarrassed.

"I know that, but the darkness was dispelled. I got lost trying to find you and then all of a sudden it was like a path cleared. Like the sun shining on a rainy day." He stopped to look down into my eyes. His gaze was fierce and unrelenting, making my bones quiver. "Who are you?"

"Just...just a princess." I smiled. "but I love to sing."

"Well what princess doesn't?" He's grumbling now.

How frustrating! I can't for the life of me figure him out. One minute he has the hots for me and the next he's yelling at me. I hoped the dark lord wasn't as hot tempered.