Five

The ride to the dark kingdom had me on edge. My nerves were in knots and I felt sicker with every jostle. The dark prince came up beside me when we had traveled halfway. "You don't have to be scared. He has naught but the finest intentions."

"How would you know what my idea of 'finest intentions' is?" I shot back.

"You can call me Nell, by the way."

I raised an eyebrow.

" That's my name."

"I figured."

"And you're Opal."

"And you can call me Your Highness."

To this he laughed. "We're both royal."

"We're from different lands and have different status according to whose kingdom we're dwelling."

"I see. So once we arrive, I'll have a higher status than you in the Dark Kingdom. It'll be you calling me Your Highness." He smirked, leaning sideways toward me in his saddle. "And I can call you whatever I like."

Blushing, I didn't look at him for the rest of the journey.

We arrived shortly after noon, and the dark prince Nell slipped down from his horse to offer me a hand. "I can do it myself!"

"You're our guest. But if you prefer to have things your way-" He held up both hands in defeat.

I looked down, realizing I wasn't used to riding without help. Adjusting my skirts, I carefully slipped down but my foot caught in the stirrup. When my hand released suddenly from the saddle, I fell backwards with a yelp.

To my surprise, the dark prince Nell caught me in his arms. He looked down into my eyes, seemingly curious. Then slowly smiled. "You sure you don't want my help?"

My face must've been redder than an apple. I felt hot and whoozy. He was so handsome, and I felt my heart skip.

No! This can't happen if I'm supposed to contemplate marrying the dark Lord. I can't be having feelings for his brother!

Getting quickly to my feet, I fixed my hair and dress before striding confidently up the stone steps and into the castle. The dark prince lagged behind, unperturbed.

Once inside, I realized the castle was dark. The curtains were drawn, and only a limited number of candles were lit. I guess this is another reason to name it the Dark Kingdom.

The servants wore what appeared to be bandanas around their wrists. When I asked about them, the dark prince explained, "Nobody can look upon my brother or they'll die. They have to enter a dark room blindfolded."

I wondered if I would have to do the same. Wouldn't the darkness be enough?

But he said that eyes can adjust to the light. We could well imagine what he looked like, but after a while we would pick out certain features and put the pieces together.

Odd. Very very odd.

Once in my quarters, I was introduced to my handmaiden and the three servants who would assist in my needs and fiddle things like dressing and letter carrying. I could write home as often as I liked, but I would not be allowed to leave the grounds. They were afraid Father might try to kidnap me back to bring me home.

I knew that was absurd. He'd watched me go without hardly a word. Mother might try something, though.

Only time would tell.

The Dark Prince Nell said I would be meeting the Dark Lord after dinner. "He wishes to get to know you."

Of course. I'm his would-be bride.