Chapter-5

Chapter-5

-Elena

Its been a week since Brandon was shot. I've visited him daily. I've also been stuck with my annoying new bodyguard for the time being. He spends his time getting on my last nerve and hitting on me.

"So, I was thinking, maybe me and you should go out some time?" Liam, my new bodyguard, says.

I roll my eyes. "Well you were thinking wrong."

"Oh come on, you know you like me. Just a little. You don't have to admit it, but its true."

Yes he may be hot, but I don't like him. He's so cocky, its annoying.  "I don't. But whatever helps you sleep at night."

"You would help me sleep at night..Or maybe you'd just keep me awake." He winks.

"Not even in your dreams."

"Your the only thing in my dreams." He smiles.

"Wow does this little flirting routine work on all the girls? Sorry to disappoint but it doesn't on me." I walk off to my room, shutting the door behind me. I lean on it and sigh.

"So how's the new bodyguard?" Brandon is sitting on my bed.

I smile a little. "He actually makes me miss you."

He chuckles. "That bad, huh?"

I nod and plop down on the bed next to him. "So when did you get released?"

"About 20 minutes ago. Then I came here."

"You shouldn't be up and walking, you should be resting."

"I'm fine. Its not like I haven't been shot before."

"Yes but those times were less dangerous like this one. You were more likely to die this time than the others."

He rolls his eyes. "Fine. Then I'll rest on your bed. Its more comfortable than mine." He closes his eyes and leans back.

"Fine. Because we need to talk."

His eyes pop open. "When a girl says we need to talk its never good."

I roll my eyes. "Its about Aaron." His jaw twitches and I can tell he's getting angry just at the name. "Aaron was able to sneak into here with no problem, and lets not forget, he made it in the throne room. The most guarded room. That being said, what's stopping him from doing it again? Its been a few days... I have a theory. He couldn't have possibly made it into the most heavily guarded room on his own. So he must have someone on the inside."

"You really over-think things. And anyways what if his inside guy was the shooter that got arrested?"

"Hm. That gives me an idea. Maybe I should ask him." I ponder on the idea but I know Brandon wont like it.

"No, no way in hell am I letting you get near him."

"Fine. But there's still always the chance that it wasn't him." And I've learned not to take chances.

He sighs. "Its been a week, I think he would have came after you by now."

"Maybe. Or maybe their waiting something. Maybe their waiting for Aaron to heal like I've been waiting for you. There could be something big coming."

He thinks this over. "If there is then me and the guards will protect you."

"But your not able to. Your hurt. And who's to say they can't defeat the guards? Hell they almost succeeded just a week ago."

His muscle in his cheek twitches. "They wont succeed."

"We don't know that."

"I wont let it happen. I've spent my life training to protect you. The only way they could is if I were dead."

I look down at where he was shot and gently lay my hand over it. My voice is quiet when I speak. "You almost were.."

He lays his hand on mine. "But I wasn't. And I wont be. Okay?" I nod and remove my hand. He leans back and closes his eyes.

"Get some rest." I stand to go but he grabs my arm.

"Don't leave. I want you nearby just in case they do try and attack again."

I smile. "Your taking a break from being my bodyguard, remember?"

"Doesn't matter. Besides, you've said it yourself, no one does a better job than me." He smiles with a bit of arrogance.

I roll my eyes and smile. "Just get some rest and don't worry about me." He lays back and I wait for him to fall asleep.

Once asleep, I go to talk to the shooter who was arrested. I know he said not to, which is why I didn't tell him. I need to find out information.