Chapter 15

The halls of the prison were dark and smelled like mildew, which was not as bad as what I expected. The prisoners were moaning in agony from inside their cells, and I felt bad for them, until I remembered they were demons and probably deserved what they did.

"They're not all demons," Zyn whispered to me.

"I hate when you read my mind," I said.

He took my hand. "Some of them are people's souls.Some people did somuch wrong while they were alive that they were put into this prison, the most secure prison anywhere in the universe," he explained. "We've got some famous people down here."

"Like who?" I asked, wondering what famous people did enough wrong in their lives to warrant being placedin the same prisonas LUcifer.

"Adolf Hitler, for starters," he replied. "We've also got John Wilkes Booth."

"Remind me again who that guy was," I said.

"He was the guy who shot Abraham Lincoln," Asabeth replied from behind me.

As we kept walking down the dank halls, we began to get noticed. Not just by the inmates, but by a little bit of security. A pair of demons with ugly tangled black hair and deep dark eyes turned around a corner. I channeled the same power I'd used to weaken Lucifer and turned the demons into dust with just a little concentration.

"Nice!" Asabeth applauded.

"Thanks," I replied.

We walked some more, until it seemed like we'd been walking for hours. We began to see some more security guards, meaning we were definitely getting closer to Lucifer's cell.

"We're almost there," Polly whispered as we ducked around a corner to avoid being spotted by a demon. "Liz and I will keep the security guards distracted while you get to the cage. Zyn knows the way."

I nodded, which was practically useless in the darkness of the prison. There was hardly any light, only enough for us to see around and to know when a demon was approaching us.

"You got this, Jenny. Don't worry about us," Liz said.

Polly jumped out from around the corner and yelled "Who's gonna catch me?"

As all the security guards in sight ran after Polly in the direction we'd just come from, Liz following quietly behind them. Zyn grabbed my hand and Asabeth's and dragged us out of our hiding spot. We rand in the opposite direction Polly and Liz went.

We ran until we decided we were a good distance away from the guards that we could just walk. We slowed ourselves and took a breather.

"How much farther?" I panted.

"Not much," Zyn huffed in reply. After just a few seconds, we straightened ourselves out and kept walking.

Zyn led us as Asabeth and I walked behind him. "I have to ask," she said, "did you mean what you said at your house?"

"What did I say at my house?" I asked, knowing the answer but desperate to keep it to myself. Fortunately, she didn't have her powers anymore and couldn't read my mind to know that.

"You know, when they were asking about...us," Asabeth replied.

"I never said anything," I replied.

I heard Zyn chuckle ahead of us. I knew he was listening in on our conversation. "You know, when you said you wanted to kiss me," Asabeth said.

"I don't remember anything like that," I answered quickly.

"Okay. Just wondering," she said.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if I meant it. I may have just blurted something to shut my friends up, but I also may have revealed my deepest inner secret. One I kept even from myself.