Chapter-4

Just a reminder that the new and improved version of Protect Me is being done, check it out its posted! Xoxo
Chapter-4

-Elena

I've spent the last 4 hours pacing back and forth in the waiting area. My hands are still coated in blood.

"Honey why don't you go wash off your hands?" My father suggests.

"What if the doctor comes back while I'm gone?" I can't leave, I have to be there when he wakes up. If he wakes up.. No, he has to be okay.

"Then we'll inform you about him."

I silently nod and walk to the nearest bathroom. I look in the mirror. Still wearing my dress but not the mask. I wash my hands off before going back and pacing.

The doctor finally comes back, blood staining his scrubs. "The bullet was lodged in his abdomen. Luckily we got it out, and he's lucky he got here when he did. He lost a lot of blood."

"Can I see him??"

"He isn't awake and its family only. Hospital policy, I'm sorry." The doctor gives me a sympathetic look.

"He has no family, please just let me see him!" I can feel tears stinging my eyes again.

My father stands. "Doc, let her in. It'll just be one person."

The Doc thinks it over. "Very well then."

I go in the room silently and sit in a chair next to his bed. He's sleeping quietly. I wish I were relieved but I'm not. Not until he wakes up. For all I know, that could be a reallly long time.

Leaning back, I sit in the chair quietly, dozing off.

------------

-Brandon

Getting shot is officially the worst pain I've ever felt. But I'd take a bullet for Elena any day. Even if it weren't my job.

I don't know how long I was out. Glancing at the clock, its 3:00 a.m. I'm shirtless, just wearing pants. I'm bandaged up where I was shot.

I look over to find Elena, sleeping silently in the chair. She's still in her gown, she must've never left. She put her hair up, like it usually is. There's the Elena I know.

I attempt at sitting up, groaning in pain, and one of the machines go off.

"Your not supposed to be up. Lay back down." Elena leans over me and gently pushes me back down by my shoulders.

"I want to sit up," I protest.

She hits one of the buttons on the bed remote and sits the bed up a little. She grabs a pillow and gently leans me up and places it behind me so I can. She sits on the edge of the bed beside me, then faces me. "I'm so sorry this happened.."

"Its not your fault. I already knew since I was 6 years old training, I would get shot one day." At this point, it just seems like no big deal anymore.

"But its the fact you've been shot multiple times..and its all my fault." She moves her hand to the scar on my shoulder where I was first shot. Then the scar on my arm where I was shot again. And the one where the bullet just grazed me going across my stomach. Then the one where I was just shot.

"Elena its fine. Its not that bad," I assure her. "How long have you been here?"

"I was outside for about 3 or 4 hours pacing. The Doc had came out and my dad convinced him to let me come in here and see you. You've been asleep for about 3 more hours and I fell asleep not too long ago."

"Why didn't you leave?"

"I didn't want to. I wanted to be here when you woke up." Her eyes never meet mine, staring down at the wound.

I smile a little. "Well I'm up now. You can go get some rest in your room now."

"Trying to get rid of me already?" Her eyes finally meet mine and I can see a little bit of humor in them.

"As if I could ever succeed at that. Sadly enough, I'm stuck with you."

"I'm pretty sure its the other way around, thank you very much," she says matter of factly. I laugh a little but when I do I feel a sharp pain in my side. She looks down at the wound. "I should go get the doctor. Let him know your awake." She stands up quietly and goes out the door.

I sigh, leaning back. A few minutes later the Doc comes in, along with her parents.

"Good to see your awake." The Doc shuts the door behind them. "Now. The bullet was lodged in your abdomen, just missed your artery. You lost a lot of blood, and you'll probably be tired for awhile. We'll be giving you some pain meds, be sure to take them."

"When will I be released?"

The Doc checks his clipboard. "Well usually with people in this situation, they stay for the next few days. Maybe a week?"

"I can't stay that long. Besides, I have a job to do."

Elena's mother cuts in. "Sweetheart, you should take a break. We can get another person to be her bodyguard. Maybe you could take an early retirement."

"No!" Elena shouts. "I don't want anyone else as my bodyguard. No one else does a better job than him. And look what happened last time I had another bodyguard. Do you remember? Oh that's right, he's the one who shot Brandon!"

"Wait he was there?" Her father speaks up. Elena must have not filled them in on the details.

"Yes he was. He shot Brandon. Now back to my point. I am not getting anyone else to protect me. I agree he should take a break until he's healed but I will not have a replacement. There's no one else I would trust more to protect me."

"I don't need a break. I'll be fine," I cut in.

"Very well, you wont be replaced. But you will be taking a break. And in the mean time, I have someone who can look after Elena. Just get better soon." Her mother stands.

"Get well, we'll be checking up on you," her father stands with his wife. They exit the room quietly.

I look over at Elena. She sits back down. "If you don't want to be my bodyguard anymore, tell me and you wont have to be."

"Now who's the one trying to get rid of someone?" She smiles a little, which I return. "I'll always protect you. And I'll always be your bodyguard. Besides, if I wasn't I wouldn't have anything to do in life."

She smiles. "Then get better soon."