Chapter 41

My dad stopped at the door to Dr. Declan Weiner's office and looked at me. His whole body was tense and kingly, and I couldn't help but feel slightly intimidated by the male I shared blood with. "Are you sure that you don't want me in there?" he asked.

I hesitated but nodded, not wanting to upset him. "Ummm." I cleared my throat and licked my lips, tearing my gaze away from him. "I am sure," I replied. I cleared my throat again and shifted on my feet. "I want to do this on my own."

I don't need you to know what I talk about with him, I added silently. Even though there is a lot that I can not talk about, especially if he is not from Ilyrian.

My father sighed and moved a hand through his hair. He nodded and cleared his throat, looking away from me, and I had a feeling that he was just as nervous as me. He didn't like me going into this room by myself for some reason, and I wondered if he didn't trust Dr. Weiner.

But why did he set me up with him if he didn't trust him? I silently wondered. He has to have had a way to check in on him being the king and all.

But what if Dr. Weiner wasn't from Ilyrian, and I was just assuming something?

My father cleared his throat again before he knocked on the door to his office. He placed his hands behind his back while he waited for the male to open the door, and again, he appeared to be a king, waiting on a subject to do as he was told to do.

The door opened before I could say anything, and a pudgy man with wired glasses stood there. His brown eyes grew wide when he caught sight of my father and me, and he instantly went to bow but stopped when my father cleared his throat.

Confusion was written on his face when my father stopped him from bowing before he looked at me. "Oh," he said, his voice sounding squeaky like a mouse. "Right, right." He cleared his throat and nodded his head. "You must be Hadley," he said, holding his hand out for me to shake. "I'm Declan Weiner. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance a-"

Again, my father cleared his throat, stopping him from talking, and the pudgy man looked at him with wide eyes. My father scowled and gave him a pointed look, and the doctor's face grew pale because he was about to say something that he wasn't supposed to.

Maybe that is why my father is nervous about him, I thought silently. He was about to blow his cover.

"It's nice to meet you, too, Dr. Weiner," I said, hesitantly. I shook his hand and released it. Quickly, I placed it behind my back and cleared my throat. "Thank you for fitting me in for two times a week. I appreciate it."

Dr. Weiner waved my thanks off. "It is my pleasure," he said. "I didn't have any appointments at that time, so it worked out perfectly." He flicked his glasses and stepped out of my way. "Come," he said. "Are both of you coming into the meeting?" He looked at my father.

My father shook his head and rested his hand on my shoulder, squeezing it reassuringly. "My daughter has asked to speak with you privately, so I am respecting her wishes. However, I would appreciate it if you tell me what you two had discussed." He gave the doctor a pointed look, and I had a feeling that he was silently ordering him to do so.

My mouth dry, and I became overwhelmed because I had no idea what he would think if I told Dr. Weiner what only so few knew. I looked at Dr. Weiner and saw him already studying me, picking apart my brain without even trying. I gave him a pleading look, silently asking him not to tell my father anything that we discussed, and Dr. Weiner's face grew softer.

Dr. Weiner smiled apologetically and shook his head when he looked at my father, and I had to bite my lip hard to keep myself from letting out a sob of relief. "I apologize, Sir," he replied apologetically. "It is against the law to reveal what has been spoken between us with someone without the consent of the person," he said. "In this case," he gestured to me, "Miss McCormick is at liberty to say if she wants to keep things confidential between us or not. Is that understood?"

My father set his jaw and narrowed his eyes. There was a small tinge of anger coming off of him, and it made Dr. Weiner bow his head slightly.

"Papa," I said, pulling at his arm, and he looked at me. My mouth went dry, but I cleared my throat and licked my lips because I knew that I couldn't let him get hurt when he was only doing his job. "It's supposed to be a safe space for me. Remember? I... think that he's supposed to help me gain the confidence to tell you, but..." I shrugged and grimaced, my heart pounding a mile a minute. "How am I to do that if you already know?"

My father's gaze softened before he sighed and nodded. "Ok," he said. He moved a hand through his hair and across his face, looking more like a strained father than a king. "Do you promise that you'll tell me one day?" he asked.

I bit my lip and held up my pinkie, looking at him with wide eyes and hoping that he saw the promise in them. "I pinkie promise," I replied, wiggling my finger, "to one day tell you."

My father smiled and nodded. He hooked his finger around mine, and we both kissed our respected hand. "Ok," he said, pulling away. He cleared his throat and let go of my pinkie before he placed his hands behind his back. "Behave yourself. Do you understand? I will be here at five to pick you up and take you to the barn."

I nodded, relieved that he wouldn't push Dr. Weiner into talking about what we had talked about during my therapy sessions. I had no idea when I would gain the confidence to tell him, and I prayed that this would help me gain the confidence that I lacked to open up about my past and help others in a similar situation. "Yes, Sir," I replied.

"I love you," he said, and I smiled.

"I love you, too." I went into his arms and buried my face into his chest, taking in his musky scent. My whole body relaxed against his while I buried my face further into his shirt.

My father kissed the top of my head and cleared his throat while he pulled away from me. He fixed his shirt and stood tall and proud like a king again. "Ok," he said. "I will see you at five." And with that, he left, not looking behind him.

We both knew that he would have stayed if he did, and I was grateful that he didn't because I had no idea what I was going to talk to Dr. Weiner about.

Maybe he was from Ilryian, and I could get some answers from him, or maybe not.

All I knew was that he respected my father more than he should for someone that just met each other.