A Pause

The Mandalorian piloted the Razor Crest into wide open space in the Outer Rim. The four of them sat down around his little dining table and began to work out a plan. 

"We need an uninhabited planet," said Rey. 

"There are plenty of those out here," said the Mandalorian. 

"What about the one in the Dagobah system?" said Ben. "Where I built my dock on that cold lake?"

Rey remembered that planet very well. She had visited Ben there when he was Kylo Ren in one of her jumps back in time. 

"You're sure it's uninhabited?" said Rey.

"I didn't survey the planet," said Ben. "But as far as my senses and the ship's sensors could read, it's nothing but plant life."

"That works," said the Mandalorian. "How do we get their attention?"

"They're attuned to me," said Ben. "They probably showed up on Exegol after Rey dropped me there. I would have been long gone by the time they arrived."

"Can't we fix them?" said Little Yoda. "You're fixed."

Rey looked to Ben. He seemed to take the question seriously. After some consideration, he shook his head. "I don't think so. I spent the first fifteen years of my life using the light side. These men have only ever known the dark. They have no framework to understand anything else, nor will they want to. The Knights are a force of nature. If I can think of a way before they arrive, I promise I'll try."

Little Yoda's ears drooped, but he nodded. 

"I veto stabbing and near death experiences," said Rey. 

"Reasonable," said Ben. "We should be able to do something big with the Force. If we work together, the ripples that result will move through the galaxy and shine like a beacon for them to follow."

"Make yourselves bait, and hope they take it," said the Mandalorian. He nodded. "That's a start. Tell us about them."

Ben detailed the enhanced weapons of the five they hoped to draw to the cold lake planet. When he finished, they were all quiet.

"Are we three enough to kill them?" asked Rey.

"It will be hard," said Ben. "They won't have fought seventeen others before reaching us like the one on Coruscant."

"Four," piped Yoda. 

Rey looked to the Mandalorian. He shrugged. 

"I think avoiding direct confrontation is a good idea," said the Mandalorian to his son. "But you can help. You could play the game and help us slow them down."

"What's the game?" said Ben.

"He can Cloak himself," said Rey. She laughed as Ben recreated the same incredulous expression he had made on Ahch-To when he had learned about Little Yoda's skill while in his ghost form. 

"I never could do that," said Ben. 

"I'll take care of two of them," said Little Yoda. "The rest of you each get one."

"I need a weapon," said Ben. "I think Yoda should keep the darksaber. The reach is short for me, but perfect for him."

"I have plenty aboard," said the Mandalorian. 

"I need a lightsaber," said Ben. "But there's no time to make one."

"To Tatooine, then," said Rey. 

"Why?" said Ben.

"I buried Luke's old lightsaber there," she said. "I'm sure he wouldn't mind you having it."

Ben looked skeptical. "If you say so."

"Trust me," said Rey. 

"Master Luke liked you," said Little Yoda. "He told me so."

"Wait," said Ben. "You BURIED a lightsaber?"

"Yes," said Rey. "It seemed like the right thing to do at the time. I buried Leia's, too. Outside of Luke's childhood home."

"What." Ben shook his head. "Jedi sentimentality."

"Burying valuable weapons does not seem wise," said the Mandalorian. 

Rey looked to Little Yoda. "You get it, right?"

She was rewarded with not a word of rebuke and a solemn nod from her student. 

"We'll need to see the target planet to finish our plans," said the Mandalorian. "I'll set a course for Tatooine. Get some rest while you can. It sounds like we're going to need it." 

"Master Ben?" said Little Yoda.

"Yes, oh Wielder of the Darksaber?" said Ben.

Little Yoda practically preened at that. "Will you play Dejarik with me?" He activated the game on the table top, each little piece coming to life and stretching in anticipation of the match.

"I haven't played in years," said Ben, facing the game board. 

Rey kissed both of them on the cheek and returned to their cabin. She pulled out all of the clothing Rose had arranged, searching for something that would blend in well with the greenery of the cold lake planet. Rose had ordered a serviceable number of pants and tops, as well as a few outrageous dresses. That made Rey smile. 

Some time later, Ben hurtled into the cabin, a look of alarm on his face. She sat up from where she had been dozing and squinted at him. He appeared unharmed. He shut the door and dropped down on the cot beside her, and ran his hands over her belly.

"Are you bleeding?" 

"Not yet." 

"Not...yet? It feels like someone stabbed you in the gut."

"Oh." Rey laughed. At his frustrated expression, she explained, "I'm female."

"Yes?"

"This is the horror we deal with on a monthly basis. It's not just bleeding. It hurts. Actually, this isn't as bad as it's going to get."

"Shit. You do this every month?" 

"Every single one. Unless I don't get enough to eat. Then it stops for a while."

"Why am I feeling it? I don't have the requisite organ."

Rey shrugged and pressed herself against him. "Bad luck for you. I'm sorry. I really didn't do this on purpose."

"Will this prevent you from helping with the Knights?"

"Please," she snorted. "I can't be out of commission for five or six days every month. I deal with it."

"I had no idea."

"I know." She yawned and closed her eyes. "It's kind of cute."

"So, when you have a baby..."

"I'm not having a baby any time soon. But I guess you'll be the first man in the history of the universe to experience that pain. Maybe you can publish your experience. It might be your grandest contribution to humanity."

"Former Badass Kylo Ren Curls Up into a Ball and Cries While the Love of His Life Does All of the Hard Work and Safely Delivers Their Child. It's a catchy headline."

"I love so many things about that headline."

"I'm glad we had this pause in events. We all needed it."

She fell asleep with his arms wrapped around her.