Being useful

Pearl Harbor, August 18th 1944.

A loud whistle blew across Pearl harbor as Oklahoma sat down a large crate and wiped her forehead of sweat.

"That's lunchtime ladies!" The lead tug Toga yelled as all the auxiliary ships and yardhands began to walk off the docks to eat lunch.

Oklahoma moved awkwardly through the crowd of smaller ships as she was the largest of the yardhands or "Yardie."

Okie worked hard, so she was treated well as she grabbed her lunchbox and headed to her favorite bench. On the way, she passed by a Coke machine, dropped a coin and got one.

She opened her metal lunchbox and smiled lightly as she found a veggie sandwich, wrapped in wax paper on top of some half melted ice. 

The Navy figured without her being a Dreadnought anymore, she didn't need the diet of one.

She unwrapped the wax paper from her sandwich and bit into it. Chewing quitely, she began to think somberly to herself.

"I wonder what the others are up to...?"

The blonde girl started to daydream and she thought about all the others out there fighting a war that she could only dream of…

"Lucky..."

Oklahoma changed her thoughts, wondering about what to have for dinner as she just continued eating until the whistle blew again.

"Back to work…" 

The blond began loading crates again as she turned a blind corner and bumped into a massive battleship.

"Hey watch where you're going fucking Yardie!" A ship-girl with a thick New Jersey accent barked as she pushed Oklahoma back a bit.

"Sorry." Oklahoma said firmly from behind the crates, blocking her vision as she tried to sidestep around the voice.

"That wasn't good enough." The voice blocked and barked at Oklahoma again as the blond Dreadnought smirked and suddenly let go of the crates.

"Clumsy me." The heavy boxes landed on New Jersey's right foot as the Iowa Battleship growled in anger.

"You fucking Shitbird!" New Jersey raised her massive fist as something gripped it with ease.

"Is this girl bothering you, Oklahoma?" A voice asked evenly as New Jersey looked back to see a large, tanned woman standing behind her.

"Pearl Harbor?!"