The New Guard

A/N: Hey guys! The next chapter is here ~
(^ω^)

I don't have my laptop anymore °(ಗдಗ。)°so I'm typing and posting everything on my phone, which keeps messing things up as it's really old, so I apologise for any mistakes etc.

Note: I'm keeping the names the Japanese way, surname then first name.

As always, I hope you enjoy this!

Senpai: used for someone who is older than you who is studying/working the same subject as you.
Chan: this honorific is normally used for girls or younger children to show affection so when Akihito uses it he was trying to irritate Haru.

__________________________

Akihito stared at the contents in the pot, wondering what went wrong.

The recipe said to brown the onion and meat, so why is it all stuck to the pan bottom?

Akihito gave up scraping it. He dumped in the vegetables he prepared earlier and prayed for the best. Turning towards the rice cooker, he peered inside. At least the rice was still white.
Surely curry shouldn't be this difficult?

While the vegetables were cooking, Akihito went to the dining room to set the table.
Halfway through it, a burnt smell wafted into the room.

Crap, Akihito thought. He raced to the kitchen and saw the pot had boiled over.

It was this scene that Asami came home to.

"O-Oh, hey. You are home early."
Akihito smiled sheepishly, blocking the sight of the battle in the kitchen by standing in the doorway.

Asami looked surprised. "Are you cooking?"

"Uh-yeah. A change of pace? Hahaha."

There was a brief silence, then, "Did you hit your head?"

Akihito fumed. "Of course not. I've cooked before."

Half an hour later, both of them sat down at the table, with a plate of food resembling curry and rice in front of them.

In the middle of the table, there was a pot of cactus with flowers stuck on it, encircled by candles that made it seem like a sacrifice for a ritual.

To no one surprise, the 'food' was inedible. Akihito took one mouthful of curry before choking and quickly spat it out. It had a burnt taste that lingered in the mouth. The vegetables were still hard inside. So was the rice.
The only 'cooking' experience Akihito had before was boiling the water for instant noodles.

"You don't have to eat it, you know." Akihito watched as Asami brought the food to his mouth.

But Asami said nothing and soon finished the whole plate, even though Akihito couldn't swallow more than two bites. He wondered if there's something wrong with Asami's taste buds. Maybe too much high-class food killed his taste buds?

After dinner, they sat in front of the TV. Akihito switched between the channels aimlessly, his eyes flitting towards Asami every now and then.

Then, he cleared his throat and started. "Um, Asami, there's something I wanna talk to you about-"

"No."

"-I met this person yesterday who said you - huh? What do you mean?"

"Just what I said, no."

"Wait, wait, wait, I think we are having some misunderstanding, I'm talking about the new-"

"Akihito, if this is about the new guard I got you, no, I won't withdraw him as your guard."