Chapter 22 - Fluff City

Bakugo's POV

When we got into the train, there was limited seating but there was enough room on one of the bench seats for us to sit together. I contemplated standing since I wasn't a fan of being pressed up against sweaty strangers but the seat opening was nearest to the wall. I sat down and scooted over so that my shoulder pressed against the wall and the girl had enough room to sit down. She smiled at me before taking a seat.

As we waited for the doors to close I started thinking about what Nakano had said about her father. He didn't know much about the hero Power House although thinking about his picture in the news article he'd read he recalled thinking that he did look like a douchebag. Is it really as bad as she made it out to sound, though? I thought. Girls are emotional and this one in particular is freaking ridiculous. How many times have I seen her cry now? It's annoying as hell. I'm really curious what she meant though when she said he treats her and her mom like shit. I want to ask but then she'll think I actually care.

A small voice in the back of my head made an argument that I must care though given that I showed up at the hospital like an idiot, not even knowing if she was going to be there. Why had I made that decision again? Oh, right, to yell at her for standing me up. But it turns out she is going to follow through with her word despite everything she has been through over the past day.

There was no doubt that this girl was an emotional wreck, which was irritating as hell. I was over all of her emotions bullshit and her quirk is truly idiotic. And yet...

She hadn't said anything since we sat down a few minutes ago and I snuck a glance at her to find that her eyes were closed, her head leaning back against the window. At that moment, the doors of the train closed with an obnoxiously loud squealing noise but she didn't stir. A few moments later the train lurched forward and as it did, her body leaned into mine and her head rolled over to rest on my shoulder.

I felt my face get hot as I looked toward the wall, trying to ignore the overwhelming awareness of her body pressed into mine. A part of me wanted to shove her off, but that part was drowned out by the overwhelming urge to enjoy this moment. I didn't recognize anyone on the train so I didn't have to worry about somebody giving me shit about it. I turned towards her again and this time was met with that same sweet scent that I noticed earlier when she had hugged me.

What the hell is wrong with me?! I thought. Why the hell do I like this so much?!

I hated to admit it, but there was something about this girl that drew me to her. It happened immediately after we fought in the tournament at the sports festival. Yes, I had been pissed off about her stupid quirk and didn't understand what she had been doing to me so I wanted to know what the hell had happened out there. But I had also wanted an excuse to see her and to make sure that she was okay after I had kicked her ass.

I thought of the way she had challenged me so boldly yesterday before class. Other kids generally knew not to mess with me or get in my face like that. But she had seemed fearless and although it had royally pissed me off, I had to admit that it was admirable. Either that, or she was a damn fool. Probably both. I thought, as I looked down at her.

A smile formed on my face as I thought about the way she had threatened that creepy little grape baby when he tried to come on to her. She is tough and seems to speak her mind, which I'll admit are traits that I admire. I panicked for a moment, thinking about her quirk. She can't read my thoughts, right? No, she can use her quirk to read other people's emotions. And anyways, she's sleeping so it doesn't really matter. Still...I don't think it's important for her to know that I can't seem to stop myself from thinking about her or wanting to learn more about her.

I also realize that with my goal of being the number one hero, I can't get distracted. But for now, being a short train ride away from UA, I will just enjoy this while I can. Her long black hair was beginning to fall in front of her face like a shining waterfall. I fought the urge to reach over and tuck it behind her ear. Taking a quick glance around to make sure no one was paying attention, I gave in to my urge and swiftly tucked the strands away. Her eyelids fluttered for a moment and I immediately look away, worried that she would wake up and see me staring at her like a creep. But instead of waking up, she shifted slightly, leaning even more into me and nuzzling her head into the crook of my neck before her breathing became slow and deep again.

A breath I didn't realize I'd been holding escaped my lips and I sighed, feeling content, as I leaned my head back to settle in for the remainder of the train ride.

Author's note: This felt particularly fluffy, thus my title for the chapter, lol! Ya'll have probably been waiting for more but Bakugo is a tough walnut to crack and I want to stay true to his character. I've been liking writing from his point of view as well because that allows us to at least understand what he's experiencing beneath that brooding exterior. Hope you're enjoying the story so far!