CHAPTER ONE: ORIGINS

Arthur was a Mixed Traffic Engine for the Mittis (LMS), one of their earliest additions when they first came to Sodor. Without question, he was the most BOASTFUL Engine they had ever known. He was forever prattling on about his Spotless Record, how he had never ONCE been late.
What made it WORSE was that it was TRUE. Somehow, he always delivered his trains on time and without failure. He was ALSO never shy about calling out those Engines who WERE late, even if they were on his own crew.

Unfortunately, this pride was what led to his downfall...

It was late one night in the winter of 1923, when he had to take an Express Train. He had suffered a delay, and couldn't get out of the Station quick enough when he was finally allowed to leave. Eager to make up for lost time, desperate to preserve his spotless record, he tore down the line at a criminally reckless speed. This combined with the poor visibility, the icy rails, and the steep descent of Gordon's Hill, it was small wonder what happened next...

He came right off the rails; he and his Coaches rolled almost a hundred yards before stopping, but THAT wasn't the worst of it: every single one of his passengers were killed.
As for Arthur, he was scrapped, as the impact killed him instantly and turned his body into a mangled heap of metal that barely resembled an Engine.