Chapter 8: Bruce Does Not Approve

Börja om från början

Helena's cheeks turn crimson.
"Uh...I think I'm gonna go to the kitchen and grab a snack. I'm hungry. Are you hungry, Holly?" Helena asks, gently tugging on her arm. Holly continues to stare at Dick's profile as he drinks from his champagne glass. She nods slowly.
"Yeah, I could eat." Helena beams at her parents who smile back at her subtly as Holly is dragged with her.

Bruce and Selina both turn back Roxanne and Afia.
"So, Helena told me that you are studying psychology, Roxanne. Afia, what is it that you are studying?"
"I've sort of been bouncing around but I've been mostly stuck with the art program. I'm taking art therapy clases right now."
"Oh, interesting! I didn't think they had a class on that at Gotham U." Selina says, genuinely impressed.
"Yes, I'm sure there are a lot more classes since you were there, I'm assuming."
"Oh! I didn't go there, but my husband did," Selina explains gesturing to Bruce, "and so did some of my step children. My daughter will be going there soon."
"Oh. Cool." Selina chuckles at that response.
"Roxanne, you said you have sisters? How many?"
"Yes, I have three. Do either of you have siblings?"
"Bruce doesn't, but I have one sister. Maggie."

*

Helena swipes a chip from Damien's bowl.
"Hey!" Helena shrugs nonchalantly.
"What are you two even doing down here?"
"We wanted to see the train wreck for ourselves." Violet murmurs with some Fritos in her mouth.
"Mm. I see."
"How'd it go?" Tim asked.
"It went fine. Dad already heard about Roxanne from my mom." Helena explains, taking some of the chips and grabbing a for herself with some dip.
"Nice to see you back by the way, Holly." Jason says and she smiles.
"Thanks."
"How was France?"
"It was totally awesome! You should have seen all the historic buildings, the pretty lights, the amazing food-and the cute guys and girls!"
"Mm. You would like all those things. Chip?" Helena murmurs, handing Holly the bowl.
"Thanks."
"I wanted to go to France with you but mom wouldn't let me." Violet murmurs, looking at her empty bowl. Everyone stares at her in surprise. She looks up and scowls.
"What??" Helena smiles warmly.
"You said mom when referring to my mom."
"I- SHUT UP!" Helena just laughs and hugs her step-sister tightly.
"Ugh! Get off of me-no Fritos for you!" Violet says, shoving Helena off and continuing to scowl, making Helena laugh even more.

*

As the party begins to wind down, Holly finds Dick alone in the garden. As he walks around, she grabs his arm.
"Hey! We need to talk."
"About what?" He asks, concerned by her serious tone. She glares at him, not a bat glare but still as effective.
"Don't play coy with me! Helena told me all about what you did!" Holly spat accusatorially. Dick sighs.
"Yeah, I know... and I pissed Barbara off too." Holly blinks.
"Barbara too?" She repeats in surprise. Dick nods and explained what happened.
"You dick!" Holly shouts at him, hitting him in the arm.
"Ow! I know, I know-ok? I was an ass!"
"Why would you even tell you didn't need her help when you clearly need her help??" Dick sighs.
"I don't know." He admits with a frown.
"What do you suggest I do?" He asks Holly and she seems surprised that he is asking for her advice. It's now her turn to sigh.
"I don't know yet. But I'm sure I'll figure something out." Holly reassures him.
"Thanks Holls."
"You're welcome, but don't think I did just because of you. I'm worried about your family. I hate to see you all fighting like this." Holly says, her eyes saddened. He nods and makes his way inside.
"Where are you going?"
"I have to talk to Bruce about something real quick before I forget." Dick explains, halfway through the balcony doors.
"Alright. I think I'll hang here and get a feel for the few guests left. See ya later!"
"Bye Holly."

*

"What do you think of her?"
"I do not know."
"Well I like her." Selina replies to Bruce as she smiles her thanks as he hands her a whiskey from a container in his office.
"Why?" He asks curiously, leaning against his desk.
"She's polite, smart, funny. She seems to have a bright future ahead of herself."
"She's also an alcoholic." Bruce murmurs darkly as he drains the small amount of whiskey he had in his glass.
"Yes, I know. But tonight she was sober."
"She still a bad influence on my son, and she was what possibly-probably-caused him to appear drunk at Helena's birthday party eight months."
"Our son," Selina corrects, "and maybe she was the reason, but it still doesn't mean that she doesn't have a bright future!"
"Still, she is a bad influence." He stubbornly retorts. Selina glares at him pointedly as she nurses the whiskey.
"My father was an alcoholic and I turned out fine. You know, aside from being a cat burglar... but you feel for me anyway. You think I'm not a bad influence on you?" She questions, challenging him as she moves closer. Bruce is about to retort but there's a knock on the door.
"Yes?"
"It's me."
"Dick?"
"Yeah... I have to talk to you about something." Bruce turns to Selina.
"Go on." She encourages. He turns back to the door.
"Come in." Bruce replies and the door opens and closes.
"Uh... hi."
"Should I leave?" Selina asks, making a movement to go.
"No! You can stay if you want." Selina nods slowly and sits in one of the chairs off to the side as Bruce takes a seat in his office chair.
"What is it, Dick?"
"I uh... well I wanted thank you both for being so nice to Roxanne and her friend for me. But um... I have another thing to ask: do you know any AA meetings near campus?" He looks taken aback by the question, and so does Selina, but Bruce nods.
"I do. Why?"
"I just... look, I know Roxanne has been the cause of problems lately. And I know I've been a jerk. But I... I at least want to fix something that I've fractured. I just... I want to help her get better." Duck explains, awkwardly fumbling out his speech.
"I... don't know if I can do that." Bruce says, though he's hesitant. He doesn't want to turn his son away outright but doesn't want to help either.
"Are you sure?" Bruce sighs deeply.
"I'll give to you straight, Dick: I don't like Roxanne, she's a bad influence on you-"
"And he clearly wants to help her curb her bad influences." Selina argues, defending Dick. Bruce still doesn't budge.
"Look, Bruce. I love you, but this isn't right. You know it isn't. If the other kids asked you about this, you wouldn't hesitate. So why are you refusing for the oldest one you've got?" Selina asks. It goes quiet, and then Bruce gives in.

"...alright. Tomorrow morning I'll send you an email of a list of AA meetings in the area." Dick smiles slightly.
"Thanks... and I'm sorry. But, thanks... dad."
"You're welcome... son."
"Bye." Dick says to Selina before making his way out the door. Bruce glances over at Selina who gloats.
"See, that wasn't so hard?"
"No... no it wasn't." Bruce admits, a smile slowly spreading across his face, before he pulls Selina into his lap.
"Thank you."
"For what?" Selina asks, puzzled, their faces a few inches apart.
"Just being there for them... for the kids."
"Of course. I would help them again in a heartbeat." Selina admits, smiling down at him. Bruce smirks.
"I love you, Cat."
"And I love you too, Bat." She replies and they both go in for the kiss.

Author's Notes

Whoa! That was long, over 2,000 words. I'm proud of myself ^-^

Here's some trivia before you go:

-Selina does actually have a sister Maggie in the comics, but here nothing traumatic has happened to her nor does she become a nun or Patient Zero (simply put: Roman Sionis made her eat her own husband's eyeballs after he kidnapped them both and killed him. I know. The man is fucking messed up-)

-I don't remember when I saw this, but in one origin story of Catwomen, her father was a drunk and her mother was obsessed with cats

Sorry if I accidentally gave anyone nightmares ;-;

Watch something like hearted before you go to sleep just in case!!

Meanwhile, I may not go to sleep. Why?

BECAUSE THE RAIN WONT STOP AND I HAVE TO KEEP WINDOW OPEN BECAUSE THERE'S NO A/C!

Ugh! I hate this😭

BatgirlGeek❤️