Chapter Two

It's been three weeks after resumption and life on campus has been a great one. The friendship between Ayokanmi and I became so close that we even visited each other's hostel to spend the weekend.

My hostel is small compared to Ayokanmi's. She lives in a suite. Well, that's to keep you sucked in.

It was actually a cool Tuesday morning, I woke up to the sound of my clock's alarm blaring loudly. I got up and snoozed the alarm. I looked at the other bunk and saw my roommate still sleeping like a log of wood. I tapped him several times until he woke up.

"Arrrgh.... It's morning already?" He asked amidst yawns "time really flies, especially at nights" He added as he got up to observe his daily morning devotion. I walked to my small bookshelf and took my Bible. I read my devotional book and prayed in silence. After the morning devotion, I went to the bathroom to have my bath. I turned the shower and the sound system on, I played 'helplessly' by Tatiana Manaoi's and sang along in the shower. I knew all the lyrics to the song because it was the song in vogue then.

"It's not that easy with you here
But I know I want you to stay
See this could be us in a few years
But just admit you like to play
It's like everyday
I'm kicking rocks
I could fly away
But you got me at a complete stop
How do you
Manage to keep me going
But somehow you keep me from going
See you distract me, but I'm distracted without you
I don't know how to focus baby teach me how to
Cause I'm standing still again
But if you love me, just like the way that I love you
I wouldn't mind a little comforting from you
Why do I let you in my head?
And I gotta go sometimes, but you're always on my mind
You're not helping me
But I helplessly fall, for you
Now I'm running late
And I'm not a coffee drinker
But I lost sleep just thinking of you
So pour me a cup
I need to wake up
I need me some love
Now give it to me
Cause everywhere you go I'll follow you
I'll give you all of me, give me all of you
I gotta go sometimes
But you're always on my mind
See you distract me, but I'm distracted without you
I don't know how to focus baby teach me how to
Cause I'm standing still again
Cause if you love me, just like the way that I love you
I wouldn't mind a little comforting from you
Why do I let you in my head?
No
And I gotta go sometimes, but you're always on my mind
You're not helping me babe
But I fall helplessly for you, for you
You're not helping me babe
But I fall helplessly for you, for you."

"Timmy, you're the best singer but only in the shower." My roommate said sarcastically.

At 7:30am, I left my hostel and headed to the lecture theater where I have lectures fixed at 8:00am and I wouldn't miss it for anything in the world.

I got to the school park and of course, the place was bustling with activities but time wasn't on my side. I walked past the crowd at the park with my airpods fixed firmly in my ears. I was soon out of the world listening to Morenikeji by Konstant when suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to look back only to see Favour panting and breathing heavily like she had just been chased by a dog.

"Heyy Favour! What's up with you?" I beamed

"I'm not fine," she cut in sharply "been running and calling after you since and you didn't answer me" She replied sounding quite angry.

"Oh, really?" I said pulling her towards me under the shade "I was actually running to get a front seat at the lecture theater and aside that, I have my airpods on that's why I couldn't hear you." I said flashing an apologetic look at her.

"Oh.... I don't know," she replied and we walked down to the class together.

The first and the last time I saw Favour was three weeks ago, my first day at school when we bumped unto each other at the lecture theater. We exchanged contacts instantly and I promised to stay in touch with her. We arrived at the lecture theater and the lecturer came in, although a bit late than the fixed time. He gave his lecture and left when it ended. My class ended at 5:00pm that day and I went to Nutri-C, a refreshment spot on campus located opposite Zamfara female hostel to get something to fill up my empty stomach. I ordered for a meat pie and an orange drink as soon as I got there. I was about taking a bite from my meat pie when I saw Ayokanmi and two of her friends heading towards the school market. I waved and called their names repeatedly until they saw me. Ayokanmi hugged me as soon as we got close, I exchanged pleasantries with her friends too as they occupy the vacant seats around the table.

"Didn't see you in class today. Where have you been?" Ayokanmi queried.

"Uhm... I was with Favour." I replied expecting her ask who Favour is.

"Okay, it's fine... So tomorrow is February fourteenth," Ayokanmi grinned.

"Yeah, I know. Is tomorrow your birthday?" I asked trying to tease her.

"No jhoor," she said throwing me a playful punch on the shoulder.

"Tomorrow's Valentine's day and I am your val. So you're taking me out tomorrow right?" She said while searching for an answer in my eyes, she was expecting me to say a 'yes, no problem'

I brought out my diary from my bag and flipped through the pages to check my schedule for February fourteen and I read the contents out, loud and clear. "We will finish lectures by 5pm as usual," I said rolling my eyes "and I'll definitely be tired due to the stress by the time I get back to my hostel" I complained. Ayokanmi said she wasn't interested in my 'okoto - meow' and excuses. She pressed on till I agreed to go on a date with her at Soundbar, a night club located around the government reserved area to celebrate the lovers' day. We finished our snacks and I went to the cashier to settle a bill for four.

"Ayokanmi, are you going to your hostel now? Let me walk you off" I whispered, thinking how grand i sounded

"Yes, I am going now. Ain't you going too?" She asked, just for clarifications.

"I'm going too," I answered, nodding my head in affirmation.

Ayokanmi and I walked together to the school park with her hand and mine clasped into each other, oblivious to our surrounding. We spoke at length and laughed at intervals; we had totally forgot that our friends, Oluwatobi and Mary were far behind us.

"Timmy! Now you're taking our friend away from us" Mary said from a distance behind us. I didn't bother to give her a reply. I just ignored and continued my discussion with Ayokanmi.

"Don't mind her dear" Ayokanmi whispered gently and held her hand more tightly.

Did you enjoy reading this chapter? Kindly drop your comments and reviews. And Don't Forget To Vote 🌟