Chapter 21

My father was resting when I checked in with my mom, so it was a good opportunity to sneak away. Guilt nawed away at me for a few minutes as I made my way back to Bakugo thinking about the way my mom's face had fallen when I told her I was going to go train at school. I know that she wanted me to stay nearby but for the sake of my own sanity I needed to get out of that hospital.

When I spotted Bakugo I immediately felt lighter. Seeing him at the hospital had felt like an illusion at first. I still didn't fully understand why he had come here or how he found out about where I'd been today but the feeling I'd had when I confirmed it was him was overwhelming relief. My mind couldn't wrap around why I was having such strong reactions to this boy. I barely knew him and he clearly wasn't interested in becoming friends. Yet, sometimes his words didn't match his actions. If he didn't want to be friends, then he surely wouldn't have cared enough to come all the way to the hospital, not even knowing if I'd be here.

To add to my confusion, when I got closer, Bakugo snapped, "I was about to leave your ass, let's go."

The emotional whiplash this boy gave me was unbelievable. I chose to ignore his comment and scurried along behind him.

"We need to be careful to avoid reporters," I said as we neared the entrance of the hospital. "They've been hovering around like vultures since this morning. Just don't draw any attention to us, okay?"

I was wearing one of my favorite black hoodies and took my hair down so that I could put the hood up. As I pulled the hood over my head and tucked my hair inside, I heard Bakugo scoff.
"Yeah, you're totally unnoticeable now," he said, his voice thick with sarcasm.

I rolled my eyes at him and smacked his arm lightly. "We'll be fine as long as you don't scream or go blasting your hand grenades like a freakin maniac."

"Why would I do some stupid shit like that?!" he yelled. He quickly realized the sudden escalation in his voice before he narrowed his eyes at me and his mouth set in a hard line. I gave him a look that said 'I told you so,' but he didn't say anything more as we quickly headed out of the building. 

The fresh spring air was a welcome change from the stuffy atmosphere of the hospital, which always smelled like antiseptic. I breathed in deeply and smiled, relishing the feel of the sun on my face. After we were a ways away from the building I finally pulled my hood down. It was then that I noticed Bakugo looking over at me, his expression unreadable. When I started to turn towards him he looked away quickly.

"So how was it at school today? Did I miss anything major?" I said to fill the empty space that seemed to be lingering between us as we walked.

"Well, with midterms coming up, everything is pretty important," he said.

"Oh..." I looked down at my feet as I walked, beginning to worry about getting behind, when I heard him sigh heavily.

"Just ask the damn nerd for his notes from today. I'm sure he'll give them to you without a second thought." As he said it, he scoffed and shook his head. "Fucking Deku."

"Deku...oh, you mean Midoriya? Yeah, he seems really nice! I only had the chance to talk to him briefly yesterday but he was -" When I looked over, Bakugo's heated eyes bore into mine and he radiated waves of anger. "Whaaaaat's your deal?"

"Nothing!" He barked but he shoved his hands deeper in his pockets and began walking faster.

I power walked to catch up and decided not to ask what this outburst was about but instead walk silently beside him, a few paces behind just to give him some space. After a few minutes he slowed to a more manageable pace and we were back to walking side by side.