X. The weather

Aldbourne England, 4th of June 1944

Today was the day, the day that the whole world was going to talk about for years and years to come. On the night of the 5th of June 1944, the platoon of parachute infantry was going to jump on Europe, nobody really knew where. To perfectly understand the situation just try to think about what might have crossed their mind, they were all scared, but pride as always never showed anything.
A lot of things happened during the last days of last week, as predicted Sobel was transferred, causing a big sigh of relief to escape from Richard's mouth, Isabelle finally was able to sleep, deciding to ask Dick for help, they would stay in her room after dinner one next to the other and just talk for some time, she found that after their little chats, she was more cal and fell asleep more easily, ho too was thrilled for this type of encounter because he found himself thinking of an after.

One night they were talking, as usual, Isabelle was narrating a story of when she was little, she was with her grandpa and they were outside playing when she went straight ahead and banged her head on a tree, she was laughing so hard that she couldn't breathe anymore, he was laughing too but inside his mouth, he was seeing their future together. He saw her dressed in white, he saw her carrying a little human being, he saw their future house, a little warm and cosy building in the countryside, with a garden where their children were going to play and their dog was going to run. She had to push him to wake him up, but after that night he couldn't stop to think of her as all of this things, he couldn't stop to think of her as his future. He was going to protect her at all costs, he was ready to give his life for hers.

He was near the plane on the landing platform, with all the other soldiers, preparing for the big jump, everybody knew the plan, it was exposed earlier that day, they were going to jump in Normandy precisely Saint mary du Mond. they had a tough mission but he was confident of the capacity of easy company. He was struggling to tighten his belt, his hand were shaking a little bit.
"Here big man, let me help you", as he heard her voice he turned his head, she was there almost completely ready, "If I don't help you you're going to rip that poor belt, here here." she gestured for him to come closer, he did as he was told, watching carefully at her features as she took his belt in her hands and started pulling.

"You know, you should probably stop shaking," she said catching him off guard.

"Yeah I know, but I guess my body isn't ready to go as my mind is", he said looking at his hand, they were shaking like crazy.
She took his hand in hers, her hands were shaking too.

"Well, I think that for now, the important thing is not to think about the little ballet that our hands are making don't you?" He nodded, caressing her hand slowly, trying to calm her and himself too.
"I don't think my body will ever be ready, and I don't know if my mind is prepared, but I know that people's lives will depend on this hands so I'll have to stop shaking."

He looked at her and nodded, he knew how important was for her to help everybody return home safely.
"Now I'll go help the others if you had problems think about Luz," she said laughing, he hugged her tightly, trying to capture that moment with her. She then went away, trying to find Luz.

She was trembling with fear but was constantly putting her scared thought on the lowest part of her being, thinking of all the good things that she was going to fight for. But sometimes it wasn't enough, after all that was she? she was just a twenty yeas old kid, away from home, playing the doctor in a game that takes real lives away, a game wanted by a stupid German who desired only power.

Power.

That's the only reason she was there, that was the only reason lots of people were dying all around the world, and she wasn't happy, but she wasn't downhearted too. She was going to save as many people as possible, even if she would've to give her life in the process, her future, him. Yes my dear readers, because she was scared beyond comparison not for her own life but for his. She thought about her future, her life with him, but as the thought of him not being with her anymore she would stop breathing. She was going to protect him at all costs.

She found Luz who, as she predicted, was having some problem putting his equipment. she started helping when a letter arrived from Colonel Sink. You stopped as Luz started reading it doing his impression of the man:

"Soldier of the regiment: Tonight is the night of nights" as he was reading he was slowly returning to his voice. "As you read this you are en route to the adventure for which you've trained for over two years" he finished reading as Bill, who was sitting behind us, stated: "That's why they gave us ice cream!". She laughe ahis childishness as he was so absorbed in his ice cream.

"Coop!" as Isabelle heard her surname been called she turned her head and saw Marty. "yeah Marty what's up?" "Can I talk to you for a sec?" "yeah sure, I'm positive that Luz can finish on his own now" "No, why now, she was near the best part, the waist belt, I was enjoiyng," he said winking at her. "I don't doubt it, but if you'd like maybe Ghonorrea can finish you," she said with a seductive tone. He looked at her shocked as she just laughed following Marty.

"Marty, is there any problem?" she asked him concerned, "No, I'm fine, but has Guarniere told you anything about his brother?" "Henry? No why?" "I have a problem. My wife keeps up with things at home, Casualty list and stuff like that" "If I don't remember wrong, Henry is in Italy", "Yes, that's a letter i received from my wife today", he gave it to her, she started reading, but stopped as soon as she read what happened to Bill's brother. "Killed...In Italy, Cassino." Isabelle looked at Marty preoccupied."Well I'm sure he doesn't know" he said taking back the piece of paper "damn" " What do you think I should do?" she thought for a moment: "If It were me I would tell him", "A couple of hours before the jump? I don't know".

What they couldn't expect was that the weather wasn't good for the jump, they were going to jump the day ahead. So with a whining Luz tired of preparing his equipment, with a tired Liebgott who couldn't cope anymore with Luz's whining and a really preoccupied and stressed Isabelle the day ended.
They had to wait, but the night was so stressful that Isabelle couldn't sleep at all, she tried a lot, but it ended every time the same way, she unable to sleep. So she sat up and went to have a walk, she took a cigarette and lit it up.

She wanted to be alone but someone wouldn' let her.