1

Kakashi's breathing became ragged. His mind spiraled around and around as if it were caught on a merry go round. That girl- there was just no mistaking it. He had to be hallucinating!

The girl's head tilted to its side, her face beaming into a toothy bright smile. "Good morning! I apologize for my poor Japanese. I did not grow up with it as I lived far off. I had only studied it in my free time, I am afraid." Gai leaned into Kakashi's space, "You seein' this!? Is that really....?" He violently whispered, trailing off as if he knew the other would finish his thought.

So he wasn't seeing things? Well that meant he wasn't crazy at least. "I am Nanami Rin! I hope I can make friends here!" The class greeted the newcomer in unison, then she took her seat in the middle of the room as instructed. All without taking a large glance around the room.

༺ ༒ ༻

Kakashi dumped his Benito box down haphazardly, the lid slipping off; Gai doing the same except with more care. Plopping down into the chair, Kakashi groaned. Gai chirped up just before digging into his plate. "What's up? Is it about, uh..." He gestured back to the line where the Rin lookalike collected her own food. Kakashi didn't respond so Gai continued, as per their dynamic. "If you ask me," He took a bite of rice to take a pause, thinking his words through. "I think that is one hundred and thirty two percent our Rin!"

Kakashi snorted behind the surgical mask he wore. "'Our?' She's not an object, Gai. Don't talk about her like she is one; or was one. But anyway," The teen undid his mask just enough to take a bite of his own lunch. "I... I don't care if she is the real Rin. And I really don't care if she doesn't acknowledge us."

Well that was a lie and a half, now wasn't it? Kakashi did care. Although he doesn't know why himself exactly. Rin was his closest friend after Obito. And he killed her. His real opinion was not that he could care less, it was that he couldn't care more. In fact he was scared. Scared of her confronting him. Yelling at him about how he had killed her. His hand; it still hurt and felt dirty with her blood, even in this new life. He still had nightmares that woke him up in cold sweats. He couldn't face her now. Especially if the girl truly was Rin Nohara.

Gai didn't like that answer of his. He pouted, consoling his grief by swiping his friend's tempura away as he pretended to look elsewhere. The bowl headed teen looked behind his shoulder, the girl just now stepping out of line. He looked back at his sulking friend, then to the approaching girl again. He grew a sly smirk just before turning his body and shouting out, "Hey Nanami-chan! Sit over here!" He beckoned cheerfully with that good guy grin of his. Kakashi pushed his friend harshly, almost out of his seat in fact. Looking in her direction, the girl was making her way over without hesitation. He quickly slid his mask back over his face and straightened himself out, Gai following suit.

The clunk of a tray and creak of the plastic chair told Kakashi she had sat down, all without looking. "Welcome to class Nanami-chan!" Gai beamed brighter.

"Oh come on now, you don't have to be so formal." She chuckled. Kakashi sneaked a peak, those same royal violet shapes sat on her face like they had long ago. "Just call me Rin, Gai, Kakashi." At the sound of his name he gave her his full attention.

"Wait..."

"Do you perhaps...."

"It's been a long time you guys!" Rin laughed, flashing a bright smile.