[27] Boys Will Be Boys

Start from the beginning

“What if I never see them again? Before it was never a possibility, I knew I would be coming home to visit. However, with you, there are no guarantees. I want to do it properly this time.”

He didn’t say anything. He just let me go.

Without at word I disappeared into the bathroom and closed the door.

When I came out a half hour later, he was gone.

“Chloe!”

I felt somewhat hollow as I left my room and headed downstairs. I didn’t know what it meant. 

When I arrived downstairs, my dad and Shay were in the dining room and my mother was bringing food to the table.

Bacon!

Everyone started laughing instantly. I must have blurted that aloud.

As I got closer to the doorway I felt a certain tension that radiated just a few feet inside the room.

No doubt, both Julian and Jeremy were sitting at the table.

“You know this boy, right?” my mom asked uncertainly.

“Julian, right?” I asked teasingly.

“That makes you… Chloe?”

“I knew it. Yup. Mom, I definitely know this boy.”

He glared at me as the little inside joke registered.

“Oh! Good. Sit. Sit. Brunch is served,” she motioned as she placed the plate of bacon in front of me.

Naturally I grabbed at it, and Julian chuckled, “You have an unhealthy obsession with bacon, babe.”

I blushed and looked down as Jeremy craned his neck to glare at Julian.

“So, how do you know each other,” Shay asked from beside me.

“She lives with me,” he said bluntly.

My face turned beet read as every turned to face me, Jeremy’s face was just as red but for entirely different reasoning.

I ducked my head, allowing my hair to become a curtain from their stares.

“Is this true?” My father asked from the other side of Shay.

I slowly nodded and he continued, “And you’re together?”

I said no at the same time Julian said yes.

Both Jeremy and Julian were glaring at me now.

“I mean, yes, but it’s a recent thing,” I hastily added.

“You’ve been living with your boyfriend?” Jeremy was the first to respond.

“No! No, it wasn’t like that,” I was quick to defend myself. “At first it was just a living arrangement. Julian and his sister supplied me with a place to stay. Something just happened. That’s why I came back. I needed to clear my head an really digest the change and figure out what that something was.”

I was smoothing out things with my parents while infuriating Jeremy further. He had tried to get me to move in with him after graduation but I had declined. He’s obviously a little bitter since then.

“What does this mean?” my mother asked.

“She’s coming home with me tonight, Ms. Chase,” Julian said without care in the world.

Jeremy spat out whatever it was that he was drinking, “You can’t be serious!”

Julian’s jaw tightened, he was obviously trying to contain his anger.

“He’s serious, trust me,” I said to the whole table.

“Sweetie, you’re leaving?” my mother asked solemnly.

I looked into her sad eyes and nodded sadly.

“Sweetheart, I think it’s time to announce are news,” Shay said, eyes my father.

“Of course,” he said taking her hand an facing my mother.

My mother’s eyes were glazed over, she most likely wasn’t listening.

“Well…” Shay said slowly. “Georgia. Richard and I are expecting.”

My mother’s face was priceless. It took her five seconds flat to register the news.

The first two seconds her eyes gained life. Next two, her jaw went slack, and then finally a huge grin crossed her face.

Jeremy pushed back from the table and stood. The chair tipped all the way back hitting the floor with a thud.

Without even a word he exited the house, slamming the door behind him.

I glanced over to Julian to find that he was staring right back at me. At some point my mother had came around to hug Shay and dad, totally disregarding the Jeremy incident.

“Mom? Dad?” when the turned to me I continued. “I know this is going to be hard to hear. It’s hard for me to say it but I hope you understand.”

Without hesitation Julian was by my side, “We all need new beginnings. Yours is the babies. Mine,” I turned to look at Julian briefly. “Mine is with Julian.”

“Chloe, what are you saying?” my mother asked.

I had to say this. I couldn’t have Julian questioning my every move. I knew what I was ready for and here I was ready to admit it.

“I’m going home.”