a partnership, of sorts

Start from the beginning

"And here I thought your 'way' didn't allow you to have fun?"

You stared at the reflective helmet that was angled directly towards your own face. Though his expression wasn't visible, it was clear that there were countless thoughts running through the man's head. He seemed relieved.

"I could have lost you."

It was uncharacteristic. The pain in his tone plucked effortlessly at your own heartstrings and you felt guilt wash over you. The Mandalorian sat on the bed beside you, careful not to cause you any more discomfort that the previous night had.

"I appreciate your concerns, Mando, but -"

"Din." He interrupted you. Clearing his throat awkwardly, he turned away for a moment before staring back at you. "Din Djarin."

You stared with your mouth ajar for a second too long before pursing your lips. "I appreciate your concerns, Din," you repeated, "But I wouldn't doubt that you can find another crew member even if you had."

He was silent for a moment, and you swear you could almost hear his brow furrow in what was either guilt, anger, or something more.

"Let me ask you something." He said, more as a statement than a request. "Who am I to you?"

You mulled over the bold inquiry with a heavy sigh. An acquaintance? No, your sentiment was much more deeply rooted than what would be appropriate for such a title. You'd been traveling together for ages it seemed, coming up on what was going to be about a year now. Partners? Of the sort, yes. Two bounty hunters who partnered up on jobs, who traveled together, killed together, escaped dramatically together, lodged together – your face began to flush.

"A business partner." You said, as if it were obvious. "And a trusted companion."

The Mandalorian simply stared back at you. You cleared your throat. He turned away.

It was a seemingly endless stretch of time before he responded.

"Is that all?"

Traveling with this man was something that required you to develop a very sharp sense of intuition, which included reading not his unavailable facial expressions, but his voice and occasional body language. Most times, his voice was flat and even, all business and no emotion. Sometimes he would yell, urgent or snappy, typically in combat. Or sometimes he would whisper, either when sneaking about or when the child which he claimed as his foundling would have just been put to sleep.

But now, his voice was positively dripping with disappointment.

Taking a risk, you moved your hand towards his gloved one lying on the blanket draped over you. You were in his quarters, underneath his sheets, clad in his clothing. You draped your hand over his, the leather feeling warm under your hands as if he had been wringing them. He didn't move his hand, but turned to stare at it. Who was he to you? That was a loaded question.

"Where is this coming from, Din?"

Static emitting from the helmet reflected a heavy sigh.

"You are... a valuable companion and warrior. I am grateful to have you fighting alongside me."

You pursed your lips. "... Thank you?"

It was quiet for a moment, and a breath that sounded like it would precede a thought erupted from his helmet before a crashing in the other room resounded.

"I wonder who's awake now?" You asked, amused despite the heaviness of the tension that hung around the two of you like smoke. Curious cooing in the next room confirmed your suspicions.