remus lupin : to keep you safe (part two)

It had been just over four months, four excruciatingly long months since Remus had broke up with (Y/N). Since then she had been a ghost of herself; staying mostly to her room and class and quidditch practice. Her friends were concerned, to say the least. Lily and Marlene tried each weekend to get (Y/N) to accompany them to Hogsmeade but each time she declined.

James had tried to check in with her the most, seeing as they were still playing Quidditch together. She would mostly give him and soft shrug before flying off. The only time use every spoke more than a few words to him was just after a full mood, always checking to see how Remus was.

Remus.

His name seemed to haunt her, it constantly rung in her mind and seemed to consume her. Her world seemed dimmer without his presence; without his soft smile, chocolate locks of hair and sweaters. (Y/N) couldn't even remember the way he smelled anymore.

She laid up in her room, wrapped in her Quidditch sweater while attempting to study for an upcoming Transfigurations test. Most days she tried to avoid the library, the last thing she wanted was to run into him there. It had happened once and the pure awkwardness of the interaction was enough to keep (Y/N) out of any library for the rest of her life. So now she stuck to studying in her room or the common room or anywhere that she could think that Remus wouldn't be.

(Y/N) didn't look up as the door to her dorm room burst open, it wasn't unusual for one of her roommates to come rushing in or out. Most of the time to her it seemed that everyone one else was now moving in fast forward, meanwhile she felt as if she was moving in slow motion.

"(Y/N)!" Lily called as she entered the room, as if she wasn't expecting (Y/N) to actually be in the room. "Oh perfect there you are, I've been searching everywhere for you!" She exclaimed, crossing the room in only seconds, panic written across her face.

"Well you've found me." (Y/N) exclaimed, barely glancing up from her notes and textbook.

Lily rolled her eyes, slamming (Y/N)'s book shut. "This is serious."

"Well so is this test Lily, honestly if I fail this test McGonagall isn't going to let me play this weekend against Slytherin." (Y/N) explained, a small scowl growing across her face at Lily. Annoyance was clear across her face, "So if you want to complain about how hopelessly in love with you James is please go find Marlene, because I don't really have the time."

The reason (Y/N) found herself increasingly quiet nowadays was because she was also increasingly irritable. Anytime she spoke in long sentences it always seemed to come out bitter and harsh, and she hated that this was who she has become. So silence seemed better.

"I'm not-" Lily's mouth dropped in fake hurt. "I don't complain about James that much." She defended, crossing her arms.

(Y/N) rolled her eyes, "You most definitely do."

Lily waved her hands in the air, "That's not important right now." She said, remembering the importance of why she needed to find (Y/N) so urgently in the first place. "James said-"

"Goodness Lily didn't we just-"

"Would you shut it for a moment?" Lily asked, her voice tight. The tone made (Y/N) immediately shut her mouth, knowing that Lily rarely used that voice. "James was looking for you urgently."

(Y/N) sighed, "He probably just wants to go over something for Quidditch, he can wait." She said, already reopening her book.

"No he said it was about Remus."

The air in the room suddenly felt cold to (Y/N), her body growing rigid as she processed Lily's words completely. Her hand froze on the textbook, letting it fall shut as she felt her begin to dissociate from the room around her.