Octavia & Olivia Part One

PROLOG

February 29, 1996

My name is Maggie Anderson and I am nine months pregnant. I am carrying one set of the twins that is to save all the witches from the danger that is coming. I know that once I give birth, they are going to come and take my girls away from me.  Octavia and Olivia are to be separated and raised by other witches in the coven and will not meet until their 18th birthday.

This is my first pregnancy and I’m not very happy that I cannot raise my girls myself. I understand why it has to be this way. I have been told the prophecy all my life. But that doesn’t stop the ache in my heart.  At least I can go and see them any time, just not at the same time.

These are the thoughts that had been going through Maggie’s head the entire pregnancy, but this is all she had been thinking about today, ever since the contractions started this morning. It wouldn’t be long before she would see the faces of her two very special daughters.  The entire house was full of people. They had all come to see one of the sets of twins that would help save them all. 

There were three midwives in the room with Maggie. Under ordinary circumstances, only one midwife would be present to deliver a baby. But these were not ordinary circumstances. Because this was one of the prophecy births, they were taking every precaution to make sure the delivery went smoothly.

The contractions were now coming faster and harder.

“Maggie, how are you feeling?” Sara, midwife 1, asked.

“The pain is getting worse. I’m not sure how much more I can handle. Can you give me something that will help with the pain?”

Trish, midwife 2, replied “I can create a small mixture of herbs to put in your tea. It will help a little. We don’t want to give you much. We don’t want to take the chance of causing complications. These babies are too important.”

“You are almost ready to deliver the babies. I believe that you will be ready to start pushing within the next fifteen to twenty minutes,” says Jane, midwife 3.

Jane was right, Maggie started pushing about sixteen minutes later. The only thing that could be heard in the house was Maggie’s groans and whimpers. Not long after, Octavia and Olivia were born, at 11:11 that night.

As soon as they were born, one midwife tended to Maggie, one took Octavia and the other took Olivia. The twins were cleaned, weighed, and measured. They both seemed to be healthy baby girls.

Maggie was allowed two hours to spend time with her daughters. She was exhausted, but didn’t want to miss one minute of time with them. She changed diapers and fed both of the girls. The rest of the time she spent holding and cuddling with her beautiful daughters.

Exactly two hours later, the high priestess came to get the girls. Maggie watched her walk out of her house with the babies. She knew that it would be eighteen years before she would see them together again.