ii

❦

Kate had left Y/n in the car while she went to go check up on mom, insisting that she didn't want Y/n to have to see mom in her terrible condition. Even though, Y/n already knew her mom had lost her mind. Some days she thought that's where she got it from. All the paranoia, voices, shadows. Y/n gets it all from her mom. Kate was the lucky one of the family, not having gotten any symptoms that made her lose her sanity. But then reality gets a grip on Y/n and she realizes that what their mom has isn't hereditary and she couldn't have possibly gotten it from her. Y/n's just insane in her own way, she guesses.

Frantically, Kate opened the door, rushing to start the car. Y/n slowly looked over at Kate, her face emotionless. Kate awkwardly smiled at her little sister, clearing her throat.

"Mom's not any better. As suspected." Kate said.

"I don't think there's any getting better in Mom's position." Y/n said softly, staring straight ahead out the window. The car had started and and Kate's hands were now gripped on the steering wheel.

"Um. Let's get this show on the road." 

The trip was an uneventful one. Although, the scenery was beautiful and real, not all the nature was perfect. Some trees were dead while others were thriving. The amount of wilting flowers was greater than the perfectly blossomed flowers. Poisonous vines climbed and suffocated trees, bringing a sense of humanity to it all.

Then, in the midst of the cascading, brown, crimson and tangerine leaves, there was a gate. It was black steel with patterns of birds and leaves dancing across it. Eager to see the actual house, Y/n sat up intently in her seat, her eyes never leaving the window. Kate simply laughed at this.

"Excited?" Kate chuckled.

"Just a tad." Y/n replied, grinning. When they pulled up in front of the gate, it automatically opened. Slowly, they continued down the path of gravel, Kate shifted anxiously in her seat. Y/n couldn't tell if her older sister was excited or nervous. Or both.

As they neared the house, Y/n's eyes widened. It wasn't just a house, it was a mansion. A carefully, bewitchingly crafted mansion. It was made of gray brick stone, gray tinted windows with curtains framing all the windows halfway from the inside. The roof was domed giving it a laboratory look, but then again, who knew what was actually inside the place.

Y/n heard Kate draw in a breath as they parked in front of the astronomical building. Kate pulled the keys out of the ignition, opening her door and stepping out of the car.

"I'm going to go in first. I'll come back out to get you and our stuff." Kate explained, closing the door. Kate walked towards the front door. The doors were nice french doors painted a creamy brown color contrasting the dark, dull tone of the rest of the architecture.

Y/n watched Kate unsuccessfully attempt to enter through the front door, so Kate turned around and started towards the back. Soon enough, Kate was out of Y/n's field of vision.

Y/n impatiently waited for a few minutes before she spotted Kate emerging from the front doors, and uneasy grin plastered on her face. Y/n needingly unbuckled her seatbelt, getting out of the stuffy car.

"Well?" She asked approaching Kate.

"It's interesting... let's get our stuff." Kate said quietly and slowly, picking her words carefully. Hesitantly, Y/n helped Kate grab their plentiful amount of supplies, following Kate back into the house.

When Y/n walked in, her breath hitched. It was a vast foyer with a staircase right in front of the door. To the right of the staircase was a door which Y/n assumed led to a hallway, but she had no plans of finding out.

To the right of the door was an open room, in which was a table and two chairs. Pushed against the wall was an old, brutally used, piano. From that open room was another doorway, but Y/n wasn't close enough to see where it led to.

Finally, to her left was what looked like a dining room. A long table expanded over the length of the room, plenty of chairs situated around it. Above the feasting table hung a beguiling, golden, chandelier. The center of it hung lower and more emphasized than the simple candles in which surrounded the centerpiece.

"Kate–" Y/n turned to see who was talking to her sister, only to be met with an older lady adorned in a simplistic floral dress, a scowl set on her face. "You brought someone else with you?" The old lady questioned.

"This is my sister, Y/n." Kate said, causing Y/n to awkwardly step forward and wave at the lady. "Where I go, she goes." Kate stated brutally and undiscussionally. The lady nodded, yet the scowl never left her face. The scowl only seemed to deepen when she looked at Y/n, as if it were offensive that Y/n was there.

"Follow me and I shall show you your rooms." Kate and her younger sister followed Mrs. Grose–as Kate had informed Y/n–and they reached Y/n's room first. Mrs. Grose opened the door for Y/n and instructed her to to get settled before escorting Kate to her own room.

Y/n walked into the room admiring its Victorian-era look. The bed was a queen, the four posts of it protruding to the ceiling. The sheets were a cream color, the blanket a bright red and sewn. There was a tiny closet next to a dresser. Across from the dresser was a door that led to a bathroom. The tub was pearly white and the sink matched, however the faucet seemed to be broken and stuck in an endless loop of dripping. 

"At least I have something to remind me of home." Y/n whispered, walking over to the broken sink bowl. Looking up, she noticed the mirror was cracked from the bottom right corner up. It added to the eerie feel to not only just the room, but just the mansion. Something didn't feel right here to Y/n, but little did she know she was completely correct.

[words : 1056]