i

❦

She rapidly sat up, the water in the bathtub splashing ferociously. The room was silent apart from the shaky breaths which escaped her lips and the steady dropping sound that emitted from the broken faucet. She slicked her hair back with the water, hugging herself as goosebumps crawled up her arms.

She had hoped that dunking her head underwater would help ease the sound of the voices in which screamed at her, but to her dismay, it didn't help whatsoever. The voices seemed to be louder this time if anything. She shook her head, trying to get them to go away, a few tears slipping from her eyes.

"Kate!" The girl screamed. In a few seconds, her sister, Kate, gently opened the door walking into the bathroom.

"Can you please get my medicine?" She asked. Kate solemnly nodded and the girl heard the door click as her sister closed it, leaving her to her own thoughts until Kate returned. Softly, the door creaked as Kate walked back in, the sound of a pill container being shaken.

"Anything else I can do for you?" Kate whispered, knowing that if she talked to loud it would make the voices worse for her younger sister who sat shaking in the cold bath tub. The girl shook her head, desperately grabbing the pills from Kate's hand, downing them dry. She winced as she swallowed the pills roughly, but the voices soon started to die down. She sighed contently as she gripped the sides of the tub tightly, slipping down deeper into the already cooled water.

"Thank you, Kate." She breathed out, her eyes fluttering closed.

"Of course. I love you, Y/n." Kate said in a hushed tone. The girl in the bathtub sent Kate a grateful smile before Kate left the bathroom, allowing her to finish her bath.

She walked out of the bathroom, a towel gripped in her hands and her sopping wet hair draped over one shoulder. In front of her was Kate and her roommate–whom she'd never bothered to learn the name of, seeing as she didn't talk to her. Kate and her roommate seemed to be chatting, however, it looked like more of an aggressive chatting in Y/n's eyes. Along with that, Kate was packing two bags. One of Y/n's and one of her own.

"Kate? Why are you packing our bags?" Kate and her roommate both turned to look at the girl. Y/n walked over to them, picking up some of her clothes that Kate had splayed on the bed, continuing to fold them and placing them in her suitcase.

"The school gave me a job." Kate sighed, finishing the last of her clothes, zipping up her suitcase once she was all packed. Then, she continued to pull another tinier bag out, scrambling to put her toiletries, accessories and whatnot into it.

"What kind of job?" Y/n asked finally, following Kate's suit, pulling out a tinier bag and stuffing it with aripiprazole–and the other plethora of medications–and toiletries. Something in her didn't like that fact that this job had come up so suddenly and Kate was oh so eager to get it done. Although, Y/n's thoughts were just a jumble of words, all incoherently flowing together. It was as if someone was playing multiple completely different songs all at the same time and the music was melting into one. However, the piercing sound of their old television was able to ground Y/n to reality.

"Kurt Cobain has recently been found dead in his apartment. Police are saying–" Kate hurriedly turned the television off with a huff. Y/n knew that Kate had never been a fan of the news, it just annoyed Kate to no end.

"A little girl. Her nanny left her, both her parents are dead. I'm going to go watch her." Kate explained. However, Y/n's attention was drawn from Kate over to her roommate after her roommate scoffed at her.

"I still don't see why you're leaving all of your kids already here." Kate's roommate argued. Y/n had to agree with her, she didn't see the point. Except maybe she did and she just didn't want to leave this life that had finally been starting to go right for her.

"I want to make a difference." Kate started. "I know what it's like. Dad left when I was four and mom hasn't been sane for who knows how long, so I want to help this girl and make sure she's not lonely like I was. Plus, I'm going from twenty screaming kids to one. How hard could it be?" Y/n's sister chuckled, yet her laughs seemed forced and dry. It made Y/n think that Kate was nervous for this one little girl, although Kate had seemed so confident.

"When are we leaving?" Y/n asked, cutting the uncomfortable silence, her words the knife. Kate shifted, the floorboards creaking under her weight.

"Tomorrow morning. But I want to see Mom first."

[words : 843]