33. 𝘁𝗼𝗿𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗯𝘆 𝗺𝗲𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀

Start from the beginning

Peter somehow lit up the shadows of the darkness lurking in Eszter's mind, being the only light to guide the girl through her horrid thoughts and into the clearing. Peter has this strange way of calming Eszter, and she often held that feeling close to her heart. He grounded the enhanced when her mind slipped into this state of mind, and it was much appreciated because Eszter would be terrified of herself.

After Eszter had wept and sobbed on some rooftop, the enhanced had teleported herself back to her own room, void of the world and herself. Eszter sat on her bed like a hermit, holding her legs tightly to her chest as she stared blankly at the wall across from the room, throat raw and eyes swollen. She had cried for hours and hours, feeling a bit destructive. Eszter hadn't realized she managed to destroy the empty building she hid at out of blind rage. All Eszter knew is she needed to release some steam, and the unlucky building was unfortunate to feel the enhanced's wrath--however, Eszter has no idea how expensive and historic the building was.

Nevertheless, Eszter had been hiding in her hotel room and hadn't bothered to inform anyone of her presence, preferring to be alone and unbothered for the time being. However, the silence had been cut short. A loud ringing of Eszter's phone cuts through the silence and practically shrieks in her ears. Cranking her neck down to her side where her phone sat, Eszter scowled at the annoying sound as she wished it would stop ringing. Not wanting to speak to anyone, Eszter wanted to let it ring through until forcing the caller to the voicemail, but curiosity crosses her mind.

Flipping her phone over with her thumb, Eszter stared stoically at the ID listed on top. After a couple of rings later, Eszter finally accepted the call and slowly lifted it to her ear, holding the phone in place. She stared silent, afraid to speak because her voice was so hoarse; Eszter didn't want them to hear that she'd been crying all night.

"Essie, hi!"

Morgan's chirpy voice cuts through the line, nearly making Eszter grimace from the squealing noise that shrieked sharply in her ear. The enhanced pulled the phone away a bit but mustered a small chuckle as she dips her head down, resting her forehead on her knees. A sad smile trembled on her lips when a rush of an emotional feeling coursed through her head and heart, hitting Eszter like a wave.

"Hi, Morgan," Eszter greets through her tears. She chewed on her bottom lip, preventing herself from breaking into a full fit of tears, which would scare and alert Morgan. Swallowing thickly, Eszter lifted her head and held it up with her hand. "How are you?"

"Good, but I'm soo bored!" No doubt Morgan was most likely pouting through the phone. The way her brows would burrow a bit and her doe-eyes would narrow like she was trying to glare, and her chubby cheeks puffed out as she pouts. "Mommy is working, and I have no one to play with. When are you coming home?"

Unable to stay silent, Eszter sniffled a little too loud, and a stream of tears suddenly escaped her eyes and falling on her cheeks, but she didn't have the energy to clean them. "Uh . . . not for a while, Mo," her voice wavered. A part of her hoped Morgan wouldn't recognize what crying would sound like through the phone, but the little girl definitely knows when Eszter's sad. "I'm sure you have plenty of friends to hang out with. Did you try calling them?"

Luckily, Morgan hadn't noticed. "Yes! None of them can play, and now I'm bored," Eszter clenches her eyes shut when a wave of sadness overwhelmed her, so the enhanced bites her lip to contain the sobs that shook her body. "Mommy says that you'll be home soon, but I want you now, you know? It's so boring! I bet you're having more fun than me."

Eszter can picture Morgan pouting.

"No, I can never have fun without you," Eszter laughs through her tears. Sniffling again, Eszter wipes her face, but the tears merely smear across her face. "It's not as fun as you'd think. They got me doing . . . homework--" Morgan ew's with a strong hint of exaggeration. This brought a smile to Eszter's face, but the enhanced holds her hand flat against her face, thinking too much. "I know. It's not fun. I was hoping to enjoy the trip, too."