41. 𝗯𝗲𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘆𝗮𝗹 𝗻𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲𝘀 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗮𝗻 𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗺𝘆

"OKAY, GUYS, THE COMPANY SET UP A CITY TOUR, AND THEN WE'LL GRAB A BITE AND HEAD TO THE AIRPORT."

     The group walked through an airport building with their luggage in tow, oblivious to their classmates' being in danger. None of them knew the extent of trouble Eszter had found herself in, nor do they have a clue about the enhanced's little fiasco back at the construction site; no one knew about Eszter's accident with her powers against their friends, and no one knows how she nearly tore the building apart with a swipe of her hand. Then there's Peter, who spontaneously aborted the trip with a lame excuse of spending time with his family in Berlin. No one knew his rough escape led to a disaster as he'd been tossed and turned like some rag doll that was being discarded. They were unaware that Peter nearly died after being run over by an ongoing train or how he found himself in a place he couldn't pronounce.

     No one but Ned and Michelle knew of the extravagant adventures and terrifying actions that occurred hours prior, but neither of them had spilled the beans. Neither Ned nor Michelle bothered to mention Eszter's whereabouts when she was given anything like Peter. Still, they assumed the enhanced was off on another mission after she fought against the water monster. Mr. Harrington was definitely not pleased because, within seconds, he was dialing Pepper's phone number and explaining the situation.

     To say the least, Pepper was not happy to hear Mr. Harrington and Mr. Dell had let Eszter run off to fight some monsters, but the woman understands the enhanced has a duty as an Avenger. Eszter barely goes to training or never really talks about whether or not she would jump back into the hero life, but Pepper had recommended Eszter to take a break. Well, it had been 8 months, so maybe she felt ready. In that case, Pepper understood Eszter still, in a way, has a job, and that was to protect those who couldn't; in the end, Pepper calmed down and believed Eszter was safe and knew what she was doing.

     However, Brad didn't look too excited.

     "Is no one else gonna acknowledge how crazy this is?" Brad blurts out into the air, capturing everyone's attention.

     "I get it," Mr. Dell perks up, balancing his coffee in one hand while the other dragged his suitcase. His movements were stiff as the neck pillow rested above his shoulders, preventing Mr. Dell from turning his head. "There's been nothing scientific about this science tour at all."

     "No, no, no. I'm talking about Peter," Brad felt like he was going crazy. "Has no one else here noticed how shady he is? Because I saw him in the bathroom of a rest stop with some woman in his underwear!" Ned and Michelle exchange glances. "And he's always sneaking away! Like back at the opera? Huh? And now what, he's suddenly off the trip? Just like Eszter? Who, by the way, hadn't been mentioned about the fact that she's suddenly missing, too? Is no one else here interested in the truth?"

     Ned started to let the panic seep in when he knew he needed to protect Peter's secret, but the boy didn't know what to say. They needed a plan and something that will deflect the idea of Eszter going on a mission without Peter.

     Michelle gives Ned a reassuring look. Then she looks back at Brad, calm. "'The very concept of objective truth is fading out of the world,'" she quotes.

     Brad glanced at Michelle, a bit at eased when he felt her siding with him. "George Orwell. Thank you, MJ."

     "Yeah, well. I mean, since Peter's not here to tell his truth and Eszter's a big girl who can take care of herself--" Michelle's words were like ice, and they surprised Ned by how cold she was being. However, Michelle crosses her arms and narrows her dark eyes at Brad. "What about you, Brad? Why do you think it's cool to take pictures of people in the bathroom?"