Chapter 17: Cliffhanger

Start from the beginning

"It's breakfast, Sam... You haven't eaten in almost three days, this worries me."

"Get away from me Aaron. I'm not going to eat that, or anything else for that matter, until you let me go."

Aaron licks his lips and inhales patiently.

"Alright, Sam... I'm just going to leave it here, okay? And here, this is for you as well..."

He reaches into the inside pocket of his suit and pulls out a red rose. He places the red rose on top of the box and sets the box down in front of Samantha. Samantha is not moved by any of of this. Aaron stands again and adjusts his suit's jacket and collar.

"But... Don't give any of this to Cliff. It's for you."

Samantha does not respond with even a gesture. Cliff has finished eating the contents of the paper bag and sits back against the wall. He is slightly pale and looks up at Aaron while breathing heavily.

"I need sugar... Anything with sugar, please. A soda, anything... I need sugar, please..."

Aaron glances over at Cliff.

"Sugar?"

Cliff nods nervously with beads of sweat coming down his forehead.

"Yes, please!"

"What am I a waiter now, Cliff? You're in no position to make this ridiculous reque--"

Samantha interrupts.

"Hypoglicemia, Aaron."

"What was that?"

"Hypoglicemia. His blood sugar is out of whack. He might be diabetic but I'm not sure. Maybe he ate too fast, I have no idea but he's having an attack. I think his life might depend on it."

"How ironic... The guy who is sweet on my girl isn't sweet enough on himself... Well, lucky for him, I can get a hold of some insulin right now."

"Not insulin, he--"

"I'll treat him, Sam... As long as you eat your breakfast."

Samantha rolls her eyes in frustration.

"Then let him die. I'm not accepting anything you give me, Aaron, ever again."

Cliff whimpers as he begins to panic over their conversation. He interjects...

"Please, don't let me die... Samantha all you have to do is eat and he'll help me."

"No."

Aaron recoils his lips and looks at Samantha with raised eyebrows.

"No? Really, Samantha... Just 'no'? Your pride will bring you to starving yourself AND let your buddy here die?"

"I want you to help him..."

Samantha finally moves from her frozen statuesque posture and her head shifts upward to lock eyes with Aaron.

"... But do you give me your word, Aaron, as a man? That if I promise to eat, you will take care of Cliff's problem?"

"You have my word, Sam."

"Aaron, if you love me even half as much as you say you do, you will keep your word... I will eat when you've done it."

Aaron looks at the floor surrounding him and then just nervously goes to Cliff and unlocks his chains' shackles. He removes the chains from Cliff and helps Cliff up to his feet. With Cliff's arm over his shoulders, Aaron helps Cliff limp his way out of the room with him. Samantha's eyes are now halfway closed and her lip slightly puckered in an angry frown. She watches as Aaron exits the room with Cliff and she remains motionless.