You were on a date with my sister?! Jake asked incredulously.

Yeah, and it would have been the best date of her life if you hadn't picked today to shift, Paul grumbled. He pictured their kiss together, the surprise that lit up her face and the blush that had covered her russet cheeks. She was so cute when caught off guard.

You kissed my sister?! Jacob screeched in their heads. By then, Paul had found where Sam and Jake were and plopped down on his haunches. He observed Jake's wolf form and was surprised to find that he was just as big as Sam.

She's my imprint, stupid, Paul said with a roll of his eyes.

Imprint? What? Jake asked.

Don't worry about it. Worry about switching back. We have things to discuss, Sam said. As Jacob focused on getting back to his human form, Paul couldn't help but think how Meadow was right to worry about her brother. The conversation they held in the diner slowly played across his mind before he realized what he was doing and thought of other things.

What was that? Sam asked with narrowed eyes. It made his already intimidating form scarier.

Nothing, Paul said.

Paul, Sam warned.

It's just something Meadow commented on. It's nothing serious, Paul said, trying his hardest to turn the focus of the conversation onto something else.

I won't ask again, Paul. Tell me: What did Meadow say? Sam commanded. Paul whined under the pressure. He tried to fight against the order, for Meadow's sake, but it was too much. The conversation rolled through their minds, and Paul was helpless to stop it. 

"I'm just worried about Jake...." she trailed off.

"Billy and Sam are taking care of him," Paul said.

"That's what I'm worried about," she said. She chewed on her bottom lip.

"What's wrong?" Paul asked. "Please tell me."

She sighed and said, "I.....overheard some things my dad said while he was on the phone."

Paul tensed and said, "Like what?"

"I....."

"You can tell me, Meadow," Paul said.

"Well, he said Jake was sick and that he was next to...shift?" she said.

"If it was anything bad, I'd let you know, Meadow."

She's that worried? Jake questioned quietly.

She isn't supposed to know yet, Sam said.

You think she's gonna shift, anyway! What's so bad about telling her now? Paul asked.

What if she doesn't shift? Sam questioned.

Then she'll still know because she's my imprint, Paul reasoned.

She's not ready, Sam said.

That's bullshit! Paul yelled

She's not ready, Sam repeated himself, this time more harshly. Let's hope she doesn't shift anytime soon.

---------------------------------

"...so I didn't mean to tell him," Paul finished. Meadow contemplated what he told her and sighed. She felt bad for yelling at him so harshly before, but how was she supposed to know that was why Sam knew?