Separation

They first met when they were five.

They didn't expect the next time they met to be so soon.

"Alright, class," Their caretaker said, "You all know each other from last year, and I believe you have met him last year as well from the two week long transfer. This is Shinsou Hitoshi."

The purple haired boy stood, solemnly beside the caretaker. His purple eyes swept over the students. He was hoping he was placed in the same class as -

He blinked, as green fluffy hair caught his eyes.

Midoriya Izuku.

--------------------------

Midoriya grinned as he ran over to Shinsou.

"Toshi!"

"Hi Izu.." Shinsou gave a small, sad smile.

"What... happened?" Midoriya asked, concerned. Shinsou's eye bags were a lot worse from the last time he had seen him, and he was slouching like he was really, really, tired.

Shinsou ran his hands though his hair.

"I... things happened. I was placed in some care taking home that just happens to be near here."

"Oh. I'm sorry." Midoriya sadly said, before wrapping the taller boy in a hug.

Midoriya didn't need to know. He didn't need to tell him.

He didn't need to know his father had visited home, and that when he left, his mother had suddenly snapped and stabbed herself, right in front of her son.

He didn't to know.

Midoriya was the best thing in the world. He didn't need to be tainted by such dark thoughts.

"Yeah."

--------------------------

They stayed together. Shinsou had been forced to move from foster family to foster family, either because they didn't like that he had a villainous quirk when he had used it by accident, or just grew tired of him being "weird" in general.

He didn't care. All his foster families had been in Midoriya's area, so the duo were able to stay together most of the time in school. It was annoying that he had to keep learning the new routes to and from school, but he didn't care.

It was when he was seven when he realised how bad the discrimination against Midoriya was.

He had gone to the bathroom, and came back, seeing several of his classmates ganging up against Midoriya. He had a black eye, and was sitting against a wall as a boy kicked him.

"Hey. Leave him alone." Shinsou stomped up to them.

"It's the villain kid! Get away!"

Shinsou visibly scowled at the statement, but he pushed that aside and moved to help Midoriya up. He frowned at the new bruises that Midoriya now had, as he tenderly handled the green haired boy.

"You okay, Toshi?" Midoriya asked, absently rubbing his stomach. No doubt there was a bruise there too, from that kick.

"Tch. You're the one who got beaten up and you're asking me if I'm okay, Izu? Really?" Shinsou raised an eyebrow.

"I mean... I know where they're coming from. I'm quirkless... and I wanna be a hero... They just find the idea silly... and I'm useless without a quirk and - " He was cut off when Shinsou's eye twitched and he grabbed Midoriya by the shoulders.