"Oh my God. If it isn't Y/N." He turned around fully in his bar stool and faced you.

"Y-Yeah." You managed a small smile but it felt as if the muscles around your lips had frozen.

You looked around for Damon. He was in the booth, checking his phone, completely unaware of your distress.

"I, uh, have to go." You said, your voice barely above a whisper. You noticed that his smile widened. Maybe because he liked the fact that he still had this much control over you.

"Come on. Going so soon? We just met." He grinned, standing up now.

You took another step back. Of course, he wouldn't do anything to you. You were in a crowded bar and you vampire boyfriend was right here but it didn't help the anxiety pooling in you.

"Mark, I have to go. I'm sorry." Mark. You hadn't uttered this name in ages. You brushed past him and as quickly as possible tried to return to your booth.

You couldn't believe it. Mark was here. How even? This couldn't be happened. It was hard to keep your mind from wandering, your thoughts flowing as a thousand questions danced around the air.

Damon's gaze immediately snapped up at you when you approached the table, his eyes concerned.

"Damon, can we go home." You said in a hushed tone. "Please."

His eyebrows knitted together, quizzing you with his eyes.

Maybe it was your flushed face or slightly panting voice. Or maybe it was the way you kept looking over your shoulder, Damon immediately agreed. Looking over at Stefan and Elena who both were appearing equally concerned, they gave a quick nod.

"Yeah. Yeah, you guys go." Elena immediately said.

Damon wrapped his arms tightly around you as the both of you walked towards the exit of the grill. Stealing one glance at Mark, you saw that he was grinning harder than ever. And you knew. In that moment you knew that this wasn't the last of him you were going to see.

Once you were outside in the fresh air, you breathed out a sigh of relief.

"What was that about?" Damon asked slowly, moving his hands from around you and cupping your face instead. His eyes held a great deal of worry and you almost wanted to tell him then. Almost.

The thing was that you did not want to bother Damon with your stupid past. With stupid Mark. But this was something that he had to know. You had been hiding this long enough.

"It's nothing." You smiled, trying to look okay. Damon saw right through you.

"That didn't seem like nothing though."

"I told you, Damon. It's fine. Just stop!" You did not mean for it to come out this exasperated. Maybe it was the rush of seeing Mark again. The fear and agony which accompanied that. Maybe it was the guilt of lying to Damon about it. But whatever it was had exhausted you to the core.

Damon's hands went slack and a mixture of disappointment and worry rested on his face. "Okay." He managed a tight-lipped smile at you. "Want me to drop you home?"

"Yeah, sure." You replied absentmindedly, walking towards Damon's Camaro.

The car ride was silent and uneasy. When the car finally stopped in front of your house, you were almost relieved. You leaned over to give Damon a quick kiss on the cheek and muttering a quick goodbye, you got out.

The whole afternoon passed as you paced back and forth like a caged tiger.   A million questions zoomed through your head. Yes, your abusive ex boyfriend had somehow arrived here. And no, you did not know what to do about it.