comforting him

A week had passed since the first date and now you were on a bus headed to the Sendai Gymnasium for the Interhigh Prelims.

The tension on the bus was suffocating, especially where you were sitting. Next to you was the vice-captain who was seemingly calm on the outside but on the inside, you knew that Hajime was a nervous wreck. In comparison to the nervous ace, the setter in front of you was eerily calm and collected. Both of your friends were coping in different ways and the only thing you could do was silently simmer in the tension and hope for the best.

The nerves that you felt at the moment were different from the pre-game jitters that you felt before your own tournaments. For your games you had purpose: you were the team's captain and right winger. An extremely important player that the team heavily relied on. Here, with the volleyball team, you felt expendable. You would never say it to your friends, but you couldn't get over the feeling that you were doing little to contribute. A shaky sigh left your lips as you looked out the window and saw the gymnasium coming into view.

Before the bus came to a stop you texted Suga a quick 'good luck' despite knowing he probably wouldn't be on his phone before any games. He had told you previously that he stayed off his phone before games to keep himself and his team from getting distracted while encouraging them. When he had told you that you laughed because he was such a mama bird. Leave it to Sugawara Koushi to put every one of his teammates before himself.

A smile appeared on your face as Suga invaded your thoughts. But you had no time to let him distract you from your managerial duties. When the bus came to a stop you got off first and walked inside the gymnasium to get the manager, coach, and teacher badges along with the appropriate information pertaining to the team's warmup room and the approximate game times. As you were coming back to the team you bumped into a significantly taller figure. You instinctively apologized and the person in front of you also apologized with a deep monotone voice. Just after the first syllable you immediately recognized who it was.

"Wakatoshi-kun, how have you been?"

His eyes softened and it was the closest thing to a smile anyone would get from Shiratorizawa's ace.

"Good, training has been going well."

You nodded with a reminiscent smile, "I heard about the Japanese national's team. Congratulations!"

He nodded with a brief "thanks" before bringing up an extremely sour subject.

"How's the injury?"

Your jaw clenched in response and you bit your lower lip before responding.

"It's fine! I just have to go to physical therapy and take it easy at practice before the next tournament."

He studied you quizzically before landing a heavy blow with his words.

"If you just came to Shiratorizawa you never would've had to work as hard to be recruited."

Ushijima Wakatoshi was never trying to hurt or offend anyone with his comments. They were merely questions and comments that he was genuinely curious about or what he believed was the truth, but his intentions didn't help the fact that the truth hurt.

This time you felt your fist clench and you had to calm yourself down before you did or said anything that you would regret. Before you could respond you felt a someone lean on you right shoulder and laugh.

"Ne~ Ushiwaka, it's nice to see that you're still as rude as ever."

From your left you heard a 'tsk' and you suddenly felt more at ease with your two best friends by your side.