The Selection: Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

I turn and knock. A strong, powerful yet ladylike knock. Requested by the king himself.

"Come in." The guards open the doors with one firm pull, allowing for May and I step inside gracefully. I nod in thanks as I walk in.

When we walk in he turns to face us, then walks over to us. He opens his arms and I go into the embrace. It's not a warm hug like mother's or Kenna's or May's, much more stiff. But it's something.

"Happy Birthday Rosalie."

"Thank you father."

Rosalie, my middle name. Father usually calls me Rosalie, rarely does he call me America. Only when we are in public. When we are in private he'll call me Rosalie. I don't think he particularly likes my first name. America, is what Illea was called before world war 4.

A country that was awful and brought down. For generations have we been rebuilding it. Mom says that's why they decided to name me America, to show that something like that can become beautiful.

Ironically, Illea will have a queen named America.

I pull apart from fathers hug. He turns to May and softens a bit. I'm thankful that although he's tough on me, he softens with Kenna and May.

"Good afternoon Madeline." May giggles.

"Father, you know I prefer May."

Before father can get another world out there's a knock on the door. Without waiting for  approval mom walks in followed by Kenna.

"Happy Birthday Ames." Mom says with a gleeful smile.

She walks over to me and pulls my into a cozy hug. I fall into it happily. I've always felt safe and comfortable in her arms.

"Thank you mom."

"I have your gift, I'll give it to later" She says almost in a whisper.

"Okay thank you."

We let go and Kenna crashes into me. 

"Happy Birthday I cant believe your 17!"

"Well I am, and thank you." I say.

We let go and mom has the happiest look. I know mom always wanted a son. Not for an heir, simply because she wanted another child. Mom had three miscarriages. Two before me , and one after Kenna. The first one lasted 5 months. It was going to be a boy, the country knew as well. Mom was devastated when she lost the baby and I'm sure father was too. After that thy didn't announce a pregnancy until they 100% sure it would make it. The people only knows about that first miscarriage. I wonder what would of been if the baby boy would have been born. My brother.

"So are we all ready?" Mom asks.

"Yes." Kenna, May and I say.

"Girls you look beautiful."

We smile, happy that she likes our matching outfits. May and I have most of the same features. Same eyes, and what stands out the most our hair. Kenna has brown hair, although in some light you can see a reddish tone. We all have blue eyes. Although May's and I's are more vibrant. Kenna's are warmer. She looks the most like mother. Not just in looks, her personality is soft and sweet like mom.

"As do you Amberly" Father says to mom. 

She smiles in the way she always does, as if she can't believe someone would notice her. He holds his arm out for her and she happily loops hers with his. We make our way out of his office. Mom and father leading the way, with us quietly talking in their shadow.

~

Everyone is having a good time. I've welcomed and thanked everyone for coming. I've politely received gifts upon gifts that I don't need. I just spoke to the Swedish Royal family. Now I'm scanning the room, sure there is something I must be doing.

I catch Celeste who I haven't seen for about 2 months now. She's an advisors daughter that's a  model. She recently got a modeling job in Europe. I begin walking over there when Prince Daniel stops in front of me.

"Hello Princess America."

"Hello Prince Daniel."

We bow and curtsy then laugh. Calling each other by our former titles is more of a mockery. We've known each other since we were children. He's the prince from France. We aren't super close but we're friends.

"So how are you feeling with the Selection coming up?"

"Excited but nervous."

"Yes well, remember to be the perfect lady wouldn't want to disgrace the king."

"Wouldn't want to do that."

"No because then we wouldn't know what to do."

"And where would we be without our fathers guidance?"

"Hopelessly lost."

I laugh and he joins me. He's one of the few people who understands what this life is like. Aside from my sisters and Nicoleta. It's nice to joke about it, sometimes it's the only way to deal with it.

"But really, don't stress. They are trying it impress you."

He puts his hand on my shoulder. Then makes his way up to my face and softly runs his thumb on my cheek. Prince Daniel has always been one to be flirty with me. I have never paid it attention though. I have always known the selection is how I will find my husband. So why bother flirting. I put my hand over his and gently peel it of my face.

"I will remember that." I curtsy and leave without waiting for a response. I walk towards the dessert table and run into mom.

"Hello sweetie, can we talk in private?"

"Of course."

We hook our wrist together and walk out of the great room into a small lounge room. We take a seat at round coffee table. Our seats facing each other.

"So, I know the Selection is just around the corner and it can be very stressful. So this is my gift to you, I promise to try to except who ever you chose and not look at it as a queen or you mother, but as you. I promise to be here for you no matter what and support you"

I knew this was more than just mom being supportive. Mother never gives a thoughtless gift. I will not forget her words. It makes me wonder if her selection with father was difficult. Mom was a 4 after all.

"Thank you,"

"Of course."

"Did you not have that?"

"Well Clarksons mother was, interesting to say the very least, but in the end it all worked out." She said with a smile.

It's not the biggest secret that grandmother Abby was not a pleasant person.

"Okay, thank you again." I say hugging her. Careful to not ruin our makeup or hair.

"Of course sweetheart, now let's go finish this party."

So we stood and left. We entered the great room again and were immediately greeted. I danced until my feet hurt. Which did not take long as I was in 5 inch heels. I caught up with my friends, and enjoyed the rest of the night.

A/N ~ Let me know your thoughts or questions on the chapter. Click on the start to vote! Comment your favorite part! I haven't seen this particular story be done before so I hope you liked it, 1735 words!
Xoxo ~ Mrs. Schreave 💋