"Hey," he smiled.

"Hey," she responded.

Luca took two steps back from the door, opening it wide to welcome her in. He guided her to the couch, grabbing his drink off the bar along the way. "Is Beka coming?"

Haruhi nodded her head, wisps of her long black hair fell out of her lazy ponytail as her gaze floated around his apartment. "She's on her way."

"Do you want a drink?" he offered.

Haruhi shook her head, she motioned to the grand piano in the corner. "Do you play?"

Luca nodded, taking another sip of his drink.

"That's interesting. The people of Oasi do not seem to value the arts."

"My mother studied abroad in the Mortal Realm, so she developed a love for them," Luca explained. "Mostly music."

"I gained my love of music from my mother as well," Haruhi said, running her hands over the top of the piano. "It's odd to me that the arts are considered a frivolous activity after primary school here."

"We absorb culture from the Mortal Realm. We use their music, art, and media," Luca countered, then paused. "But yes, I guess we do not encourage pursuing those activities." Luca finished his drink and placed the empty glass into the sink. A smile crept onto his face as he thought back to the hours he and his mother would spend by the fireplace listening to classical music. "My mother was a fan of your mother."

"Oh, I didn't know that." Haruhi stared at him with wide brown eyes.

The two sat in a second of awkward silence before three firm knocks at the door signaled Beka's arrival. Luca went to open the door, but he had barely turned the doorknob before Beka was halfway into the room with Madison close behind.

"Is Gemma okay? Can I see her?" Madison asked, standing too close for comfort.

Luca took a wary step back from the disheveled brunette. "Please, sit, we can discuss everything."

He led Madison to the long sectional couch where Haruhi and Beka were already seated. Madison's flushed cheeks deeply contrasted with her pale white skin. Her swollen eyes, most likely from crying, were emphasized further by her large glasses. Luca's eyes flit over to Beka and Haruhi, who both sat with their hands tightly laced in their laps. He let out a deep sigh. They were not going to like what he had to tell them.

"I went to see Gemma earlier. She is okay in the fact that her accommodations are decent, she is being taken care of, and I am filling out the appropriate paperwork to have her released on probation."

"But?" Beka prompted.

"But she is refusing visitors," Luca said. "The guards say she has barely touched her food or water since arriving last night"

"Poor Gemma," Madison whispered to herself, wiping away the tears that spilled upon her cheeks.

Beka sighed, placing a comforting hand over Madison's shoulder. "Is there anything we can do for her?"

"Actually, there is," Luca said. "During training the other day I overheard Gemma mention you two were investigating her birth parents?"

Haruhi nodded, "We believe she originated from Oasi."

"She was found by her adoptive mother wearing the Mangiatorvi University logo."

Luca took a deep breath, his heartbeat pounded in his ears as he grappled to keep his emotions off his face. "Have you found any answers?"

"Not yet, but I submitted a formal request for a portal report into New York. We have her arrival down to almost the exact minute," Haruhi said. She tilted her head. "Why?"

"Gemma lost her adoptive mother, I thought finding her birth parents could offer her at least some comfort during this time of loss," Luca lied. The guilt dripped from the tip of his heart down into the bottom of his stomach, resting heavy in an acidic rumble. However, for the time being, he couldn't risk revealing his ludacris theory without stronger evidence. "When did she arrive in New York?"

"When she was four years old, around four am on October six."

Luca swallowed roughly, forcing down the urge to vomit.